Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Developing Authentic Speaking Tasks
Transcript of Developing Authentic Speaking Tasks
Tasks (or activities?)
1. With a partner, do each activity.
1. Establish the topic;
Activity vs Task
1. Reading a dialogue out loud.
Creating a goal or an outcome
2. Decide which one of your grandparents is / was the most interesting. Give two reasons. Vote to find the 3 most interesting grandparent in the class.
6. Asking & answering questions using the ‘new' patterns.
2. Doing a drill.
3. Students writing to display their control of certain language items.
5. Planning a class night out.
4. Think of the busiest day you have had recently.
7. Talk about your grandparents.
What is a Task?
"A task is an activity in which:
learners are not given other people's meanings to regurgitate;
there is some sort of relationship to comparable
has some sort of priority.
the assessment of the task is in terms of
Willis and Willis (2007:12-14)
1. Will the activity
2. Is there a primary
focus on meaning
3. Is there a goal or an
judged in terms of
6. Does the activity relate to
real world activities
2. Which cognitive processing skill is used?
3. Is it a task (according to Willis & Willis)?
1. Find out 3 things that your grandparents and your partner's grandparents had in common.
Jane Willis, May 2008
Use cognitive skills to help.
*4. What language will you focus on and how?
3. Decide how to
prime & prepare
NSLTA Conference, Ridgecliff Middle School, October 25, 2013
Julian L'Enfant, Academic Services Manager, Saint Mary's University TESL Centre