Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Music:
Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
The beliefs, way of life, art, and customs that are shared and accepted by people in a particular society.
"... Whenever humans come together for any reason, music is there," Daniel Levitin
So, how do they mix?
How was music over the world?
What do these countries have in common?
* The Sociological Side:
i) Music can be tackled from a functionalist point of view. As music could be used to satisfy or perform various functions or it might cause unwanted dysfunctions.
ii) A manifest function of music is to send a certain message. On the other hand a latent dysfunction is causing people to become hostile.
i) Music acts as a symbol of ones own personality. The type of music one listens to defines 'who they are'.
ii) Additionally certain genres are linked to certain stereotypes.
iii) An example is rap music, it is generally linked to either violence or gang members.
i) Music can sometimes build social bonds between members of different groups, or can develop as a sign of integration between those members.
ii) An example is Jazz music was created when African Americans were alienated from the general society and formed their own subculture.
What is the role of this music?
Help keep traditions
This is rather a controversial topic, however there do exist some religions in which prayers are said in the form of songs.
As mentioned earlier, music can be used as a tool of self-expression and several genres usually define their listener's personality through their style and typical lyrics. So music could act as a tool to show ones identity.
People united by their music preferences or by music belonging to certain region share a sense of unity compared with the rest of the community.
An important part of preserving culture is storytelling. Music is an important tool in storytelling as it can be used to convey messages in a concise manner which can be easily remembered. An example is folk music.
An Ancient Musical World Tour
The Sociological Outlook
The Role of Music in Societies
Music and Culture
Culture -> Music -> People
Trend in music evolution
What is modern music?
Mordern music refers to music released at the turn of the 20th century. The music currently composed by current artists of recent genres.
How does it differ from the Traditional Music genera?
* Promotes individuality and individual opinion.
* Not binded by chains of law and religion.
* Mostly American and British.
Effects of Modern Music on Culture
* Developing false trends; twerking, abusive language, etc.
* Can be anti- religious; Black Metal
*Certain genera's promote a "Thug Lifestyle" eg. Hip-hop, Rap,. etc.
* Judging people.
*Promotes breaking bonds and individuality.
Why and how did this happen?
1) Economic depression, inflation, unemployment.
2) Shift from "spreading your talent" to "earning money".
3) Mass media giving freedom in all bounds.
* Culture gave birth to music, to preserve and promote traditions.
* Traditional Music was created not only to entertain but to give peace to the human existence.
* Modern music in some way is diminishing the treasures of culture.
* The loss of traditional music is equal to loss of humanity.
* "Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue" Plato.
Church Burnings: Norway
Niklas "Ghoul" Kvarforth