Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Elements, Cmpds & Mix
Transcript of Elements, Cmpds & Mix
What are mixtures and how are they similar and different from compounds?
Mixtures are composed of
two or more different substances
that keep their own individual properties and are combined physically (mixed together).
Mixtures are similar to compounds b/c they are composed of
two or more
are different from compounds
b/c they are
Matter Tree Map
you can see the different parts and separate them by physical means
it is evenly mixed
What is a solution?
Another name for a homogeneous mixture
Element, compound, or mixture?
Number your paper from 1-6 tell if picture is an example of a element, compound, or mixture?
Examples of Elements and Compounds
Ex of an Element : Any element off the periodic table
Na, C, K, He
What are homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures?
Heterogeneous mixture, substance is not uniform throughout, meaning you can see the different parts.
Elements are pure substances that
be changed into simpler substances.
Elements are composed of
Compounds are pure substances that are composed of 2 or more types of elements that are
Compounds can only be changed into simpler substances called elements by
Example of a compound:
any 2 elements chemically
NaCl, CO, CO
Homogeneous mixture, substances are evenly mixed and cannot be visibly distinguished.
Solution - A mixture in which a solute is dissolved in a solvent.
Solute - smaller component that is dissolved
Solvent - substance that does the dissolving
What is a suspension?
A mixture in which the particles are large enough to separate over time.
What is a colloid?
Heterogeneous or Homogeneous???
A mixture that has particles small enough to remain dispersed throughout the mixture
DOES NOT SEPARATE
Start a new page in your notebook called Elements, Compounds and Mixtures. Write the following words:
Matter Chemical Change
Compound Physical Change
Homogeneous Mixture Kinetic Molecular Theory
Heterogeneous Mixture Solid
I can distinguish between elements, compounds and mixtures, and justify my reasoning.
1) Investigate different types of matter
2) Distinguish between different types of matter
3) Demonstrate understanding of the different types of mixtures
2) Student Login in top right corner
3) Room: MRSCORDLE
4) Name or Nickname, keep it appropriate
5) Answer each question independently and to the best of your ability.
Let's take about 15 minutes to see what you've learned.
Complete the handout and turn in to the appropriate basket in the cabinet in the back of the room.
When you are done, look around and see if anyone needs help.
If no one needs help, come talk to me.