Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of crete
Names the "Minoan" civilization after legendary King Minos
City of Troy
Only evidence in epic poems by Homer
In the Illiad about the fall of Troy
and the Odyssey
He then turned his attention to...
Schliemann finds Mycenae
He finds shaft graves.
He finds beehive burial mounds.
He finds gold burial masks
He finds "Linear B"
First settlements in the Peloponnesus around 3000 BCE
1900 BCE Greek tribes from the north settle.
Adopt Linear A writing from the Minoan culture.
Adopt huge fortified palace complexes from Minoan culture
Use bronze and iron
Trade with Syria, Italy, Egypt
12 century BCE Mycenaean civilization disappears.
1100 BCE Dorian invastion (possibly) forced out
Mycenaen age unified
Similar to empires of Sumeria and Egypt
Sumeria had kings
Mycenae had Anax, or "Big Boss"
Illiad: Agamemnon is Anax
Sir Arthur Evans, English archeologist
Excavates temple complex at Knossos
Minoan civilization was
ca 3000-1500 BCE
Had contact with Mediterranean
Writing system "Linear A"
Earthquakes - volcano - invading Mycenaens
...finds it and digs it up.
Egypt had pharaoh's.
1100 - 800 BCE