Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Judaism VS Christianity
Transcript of Judaism VS Christianity
- Originated 2000 years before Christianity in 1300 BC.
- Total 14 million followers, half live in Israel.
- 6 million was murdered in the holocaust.
- Originated in Mesopotamia(modern Iraq).
- Mostly located today: Europe, North and South America.
- in Canada: 350,000 in USA: 5.6 million in UK: 320,000
- 12th world largest religion.
- Major branches: Orthodox, Conservative, Reform Beliefs GOD/LEADER Judaism
- Abraham (Avraham) was the first Jew, the founder of Judaism.
- In Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Moses is the first well known Jewish Prophet.
MOSES THE BABY
- The name Moses come from Egyptian, it means child or son, in Hebrew it means pulling out from the water, because pharaoh's daughter saved him out of the water so he was named by that.
- In that time the Israel population was growing really fast because they are having to much babies, and they kill the boys and keep the girls, Moses was one of the boys got threw away but pharaoh's daughter saw him and decide to save him.
MOSES THE PRINCE
- When Moses grow up he went to see his brothers, saw one egyptian is beating up one Hebrew guy and he killed that egyptian. The pharaoh heard about it and try to kill Moses, he start hiding and married a girl, had a son.
- Moses didn't want to be the son of that pharaoh, he decide to live in pain with everyone else, but not enjoy while everyone else is living in pain. He leave the land of Israel.
- Moses was perfectly educated, and he decide to go back and save his peers. even his peer is saying he shouldn't kill that egyptian, but he is stilling saving them and choose not to be a prince.
- MOSES THE SHEPHERD, MOSES THE LAW GIVER, MOSES THE INTERCESSOR, MOSSES THE FAILURE AND MOSES THE MAN OF GOD.
by Alice Dai Judaism
- God is the powerful creator, who is eternal, all powerful, all knowing, and loving, created everything with power and love.
- God is the one True Creator. God has always existed, none existed before him and will exist forever. He transcends life and death.
- Death and crucifixion by Romans
- Jews believe that Jesus died on the cross.
- Jews believe Israel is a divine place.
- Judaism strongly denies that Jesus was God or that such a sacrifice was necessary. Similarity
- Both originated in the middle east.
- They are both monotheistic.
- Originated 1000-3000 years ago.
- Judaism and Christianity both mostly located in Europe and North America.
- They both have Orthodox as a major branch Similarity
- God is a powerful creator.
- Death then crucifixion.
- Both believe in god.
- Both religions believe in a God who is holy, righteous, and just, while at the same time loving, forgiving, and merciful.
- Christianity and Judaism believe in the existence of heaven,
- Both Judaism and Christianity teach that God has a special plan for the nation of Israel and the Jewish people. similarity
- Moses is also a leader of Christianity.
- comparing to all important leader of all religions: Allah(islam) is god, Moses(judaism) is a prophet, Jesus(Christianity) is god, and Siddhartha Gautama(Buddhism) is a prophet.
- When comparing Jesus and Moses
1 both are holy prophets
2both had holy book
3both were Israelite
4both were sent to the children of Israel
5both submitted god only
6both were human being
Text/ Sacred writing Judaism
- The most important Jewish Holy book
is called Hebrew bible, or the Tanakh, a collection of 39 books divided into 3 parts-the Torah, the prophet and the writings.
- The Torah contain laws jews need to follow, the ten commandments, composed with five books of the Moses.
- The ten commandments are:
- The five books, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy,
- The Torah is changeless, it is believe to be the word of god, but Judaism teach people's circumstances, ideas and values change as generations come and go.
- The Torah teach Jews circumstances ideas and values.
- The word Torah means teaching.
- The Prophet - people who receive god's words directly and spoken divine inspiration.
- Collection of 12 shorter works, known as the Minor Prophets,
- The Writing, contain 13 books of poems, songs, historical stories and wise sayings.
- It looks like a large decorated scroll, written with a feather pen.
- The first Torah was written in the language Hebrew, with black fire by Moses.
- In Christianity bible for old testament there are 39 books(or chapters) but in Judaism they made the chapters shorter and it become 24.
- Judaism and Islam thinks the new testament of Christianity is canonical. similarity
- The five books of Moses is also known as the first five books of the old testament or Pentateuch of the bible.
- The Ten Commandments of Torah is similar to the information teached in the bible, such as you should do good things for others and no kills.
- The Prophet and the Writing is also appear the Christian old Testament.
- The old Testament of Christian Bible Jewish Bible Tanakh
- The status of Christian and Jewish Bible is both Canonical.
- In both bible contain similar stories such as Adam and Eva and Noah's ark.
- The holy book of both religions was written in the languege Hebrew.
- In the old testament of bible, it was teaching of Moses, similar to the Torah.
- Hebrew bible is really similar to Christianity bible, because Christianity and Judaism was very similar and Christianity branch off from Judaism. worship place and practice Judaism
Christianity similarity Symbols Judaism Symbols Holy days/Celebrations Judaism
Christianity similarity others Judaism
Christianity Simularity Christianity-
- Originated in east end of Mediterranean.
- Came from Judaism and Islam.
- Originated in 20 AD.- 33% world religion, largest,2 billion followers.
- Dominated the Roman Empire in 4th century.
- Mostly located today: Europe, Israel and North America.
- in Canada: 21 million in USA: 159 million in UK: 51 million
- Largest religion in the world.
- Major branches: Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant 1.
You shall have no other gods before me
You shall not make for yourself a carved image,
or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain,
for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Honor your father and your mother,
that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor's house;
you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's. Christianity
- The holy book for Christians is called the Bible.
- In the Bible, there are the old Testament and the new Testament.
- The old testament explained the laws of Moses, the new testament explained in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross.
- A testament is a covenant, the old covenant between god and men, the new covenant between god and men.
- The old testament of Bible was written in Hebrew, except for Ezra 7.12-26 and Daniel 2.4-7.28. Those 2 exception was written in Aramaic.
- The new testament was mostly written in Greek, some was written in Hebrew or Aramaic then translated to Greek..
- The BIble has 39 books for old testament and the new testament has 27 books.
- Most important information in the Bible: you have to put effort, with your heart love your god.( in chapter 6 5th paragraph)
- The Bible is not just a religious reader, it contains the history, civilization, politics and economy, with greek civilization made the US and EU today. Christianity Symbols Alpha and Omega is known as the first
and last letters of the greek alphabet.This
symbol is signing that god is the begining
and the ending or called the eternal. The fish is an early symbol of Christian faith
that endures today on bumper stickers and
businesses as a sign of Christian faith. The
greek word of fish (ICHTUS) means nice as an
acrostic for "Jesus Christ god's son, savior". The cross is the simplest and most
common Christian symbol. Came in to
Christian culture in 2nd and 3rd century.
Remind Christians of the crucifix, and a
reminder of Christs sacrifice. Used by
Catholic and Orthodox churches. The dove symbolizes pure, innocence,peace and used to represent the holy spirit. The dove brought back an olive branch to Noah which was a sign to him that the water had receded. The crucifix is a cross with Jesus attached to it. This is a very common Catholic symbol. A Crucifix often has the letters INRI written across the top. A crucifix is a symbol of sacrifice. One of the oldest symbol of jewish faith, it is called Menorah. A seven branch candle holder used in temples. By putting olive oil in to each little jars and it will burn and light up the nation. The star of David is the most representative symbol of Judaism. Representing the shield of king David. The Chai is mostly on jewelry or necklaces. Meaning
the Hebrew word for living. The Hamesh hand is popular motif in Jewish Jewelry.
represent a protection against the evil eye, and the evil eye
has historically been a popular superstition among Jews. thank you for watching! Christianity
- God is the messiah, messiah is come from Hebrew word mashiah, which means the anointed one, also translated to anyone chosen for a special purpose.
- God is the one True Creator. God has always existed, none existed before him and will exist forever.
- After death by Crucifixion, Resurrection, and the Ascent to Heaven,
- Christs believe that Jesus died on the cross on Easter Friday and resurrection on Easter Monday. 1 God exists
2 God is one and unique
3 God is incorporeal
4 G-d is eternal
5 Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
6 The words of the prophets are true
7 Moses' prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
8The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings 9 now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
10There will be no other Torah
11G0d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
12God will reward the good and punish the wicked
13The Messiah will come
14The dead will be resurrected SOME MAJOR JUDAISM BELIEFS Christianity
- God is a powerful creator, with all knowing, all love,all made, all power, and all things. it is the one who has most power in the whole universe can do everything and everything, the owner of universe, the revelator of truth, the hero Actually I only finished; symbols, origin, text, leaders and beliefs, i' v covered 5 category out of 8 becuse of the time.