Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Cultural Literacy
to read and write a simple letter." Cultural literacy is more complex: readers need
to understand the context or significance of the material. "To be or not to be" This is a simple sentence to read, but if readers don't understand that it is an equation, if they have never seen Hamlet or read Shakespeare, then they won't understand why these particular words have been used. Books and newspapers assume a "common reader", a person who knows the things known by other literate persons in the culture. Literature as a subject especially highlights the need for cultural literacy because the background knowledge to read such complex texts is much more extensive. The good news is that studying Literature helps to improve your cultural literacy and make you a better reader in other subjects.