Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of John Cabot
John Cabot was born in Giovanni Coboto in Italy around 1450.(1)
At age 11, his family moved to Venice, where he learned sailing and navigation from Italian seamen and merchants.(2)
Cabot became inspired to become an explorier by the discoveries of Bartolomeu Dias and Christopher Columbus.
We Are Family
In 1474, John Cabot married a girl named Mattea and eventually became the father of three sons: Ludovico, Sancto and Sebastiano.(3)
By 1495, he had moved to Bristol, England, with his family.(4)
In early May of 1497, Cabot left Bristol, England, on the Matthew, a fast and able ship weighing 50 tons, with a crew of 18 men.(5)
On June 24, 1497, 50 days into the voyage, Cabot landed on the east coast of North America. Mistaking it for Asia. (8)
The country which sponcored John Cabot on his voyage was England who was under the rule of King Henry the VII.(7)
In May 1498, John Cabot departed from Bristol with five ships and a crew of 300 men. Historians believe that they were lost at sea. But, historians have recently discovered that Cabot might have survived and founded a settlement in Canada.(9)
Cabot and his crew sailed west and north under Cabot's belief that the route to Asia would be shorter and faster from northern Europe than Columbus's voyage.(6)
(1) "John Cabot." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2014. Web. 08 Dec. 2014
(10) "John Cabot." John Cabot. Loon Lake Elementary School, 2014. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.wlcsd.org/Loonlake.cfm?subpage=1487752>.
(11) "AMERICAN GALLERY – 19th Century." AMERICAN GALLERY 19th Century. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <https://americangallery19th.wordpress.com/category/duveneck-elizabeth-boott/>.
(12) "World Finance Conference (Venice)." Scientific Committee. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.world-finance-conference.com/node/10765>.
(13) Christopher Columbus. (2014). The Biography.com website. Retrieved 04:51, Dec 10, 2014, from http://www.biography.com/people/christopher-columbus-9254209.
(14) "Road Trips For Beginners." TunisiaOnlinecom Road Trips For Beginners Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.tunisiaonline.com/road-trips-for-beginners/>.
(15)"Common Menu Bar Links." Canadian Military Heritage. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/image-20-eng.asp?page_id=17>.
(16) BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/people/henry_vii/>.
(17) "Thumbs up Image." Thumbs Up Image. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.clipartbest.com/thumbs-up-image>.
Efects on Natives/Sponcers.
John Cabot made no contact with
Native People. But, he gained land for England and he was named a great explorer. (10)
John Cabot as a child. (
John Cabot's Ship(15)
King Henry the VII(16)