Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Anne Frank

No description

Emma Cummins

on 9 November 2012

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Anne Frank

Anne Frank 1929-1945 The room Anne shared with Margot, then later Fritz Anne was the second child of Otto and Edith Frank after her sister Margot (1926-1945). The family lived together in Frankfurt until 1933, when they moved to Amsterdam.
This relocation was because of the Nazis' rise to power. Anne received the diary for her 13th birthday and chose to refer to it as Kitty. Anne wrote in this diary from the day she received it, to when they were found and taken from their hiding place in the Annex Otto Frank spent a year secretly setting up a safehouse in the Annex above the offices of his Opekta company. The Franks shared their hiding place with the Van Pels family; Auguste, Hermann and their son Peter, and Fritz Pfeffer.
The Van Pels family moved in after the Franks and then Pfeffer joined a while later. They lived in the Annex for two years before they were discovered.
During this time there were often fights, usually involving Anne's fiery personality. In 1933 the Frank's fled to Amsterdam believing they would be safe there.
They lived happily for a few years until in May 1940, Germany occupied Holland and began putting anti-antisemitic laws in place. Family The Annex Jews were given a curfew
They were made wear the Star of David in a visible location
They could only shop in Jewish stores between 3 and 5pm and weren't allowed in parks, theaters etc. Nazi Occupation Margot was one of these people. It was also during this time that young Jews were called on to attend labour camps. They left tracks that would make it seem as if they had fled to Switzerland. When Margot received a letter stating that she was to attend a labour camp (July 5th 1942), Otto decided to move the family into the Annex immediately. Miep Gies, an employee of Otto Frank helped them during their time in hiding. She provided food, and clothing. There were rules in the Annex to help keep them safe
No shoes during the day.
No flushing toilets during the day.
Be as quiet as possible. Westerbork The diary was left behind and saved, but never read by Miep Gies. On the 4th of August 1944 the Annex was stormed by German police and the residents were taken. They were held in Gestapo headquarters overnight, then moved to Weteringschans for two nights, before finally being sent to Westerbork transit camp. In Westerbork the Franks were assigned to hard labour as they were considered criminals. They spent 27 days here before being transported to Auschwitz. Auschwitz The Franks arrived in Auschwitz on september third 1944.
Here the men and women are separated Everyone who was either under fifteen or to old or sick to work was gassed immediately. Eventually Margot and Anne both fell ill. Anne to scabies. They were moved to an infirmary.
Edith stopped eating and instead gave her food to Margot and Anne. In October the Frank women were to be moved to Liebau Labour Camp where they might have survived but stayed back because of Anne's scabies. Bergen-Belsen Anne and Margot were separated from their mother when they were moved to Bergen-Belsen camp in. Edith later died of starvation. Due to the over-population of Bergen-Belsen diseases such as typhus spread quickly and the death-toll rose.
Because of the huge influx of people most of them lived in tents.
At the camp Anne was briefly reunited with her friends Hanneli Goslar and Nanette Blitz. She spoke to them through a fence. In March '45 a typhus epidemic spread through the camp. Margot fell ill and couldn't leave her bunk.
Auguste who had been in the Annex with them took care of her. Anne and Margot had the bad luck to be sleeping in the bunk nearest the door. The camp was burned down to prevent the spread of disease and Anne and Margot were buried in mass graves. A few weeks later the camp was liberated by British troops. The cold became unbearable and both died within a few days of eachother. After the war Otto, who survived Auschwitz returned to Holland and lived with Miep's Family.
When he returned he began searching for his daughters Otto learned of his daughters' death later on from a girl who had been in the camp with them. Otto spent a large portion of the rest of his life endorsing the diary and taking part in interviews. The diary was translated into most languages and went on the be made into a west-end production and several movies. Otto made sure the diary was published as per Anne's wish. After the War Once he did so Miep gave him Anne's diary.
Full transcript