Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Clay Slab Structure
Transcript of Clay Slab Structure
using POSITIVE & NEGATIVE space
the subject is the POSITIVE SPACE, and
the background is the NEGATIVE SPACE
If you play with that definition, your art becomes more interesting and dynamic.
also, the material being used in the artwork
is considered the POSITIVE SPACE,
the blank paper, or air around it is the NEGATIVE SPACE.
clay slab options:
slumping over a mold
while slab is still between wet & leatherhard stage, form clay over, around, in, a mold to dry out. prone to cracking
scoring & slipping
slab must be in leatherhard stage to construct and stand on its own. very fragile, but quite strong in the end.
either method, a template must be created:
cutting holes in clay requires:
1. leatherhard clay
2. sharp fettling or cutting knife
Piercing BEFORE construction may cause broken edges while scoring & slipping edges.
Piercing AFTER construction requires a soft hand and clay that is rigid enough for pressure, but not dried out to crack.
to create a clay lantern with lid & feet with a pierced body displaying positive & negative space shapes.
to create a set of puzzle vases,
again piercing positive & negative space shapes
to create a clay box or vase using the slumping method, also using piercing to display positive & negative space
1. plan & sketch at least
2. draw your pattern/design in
POS & NEG
3. create your object out of
for a template
4. create your slabs & let dry to leatherhard stage
your slabs before they are leatherhard
your slabs to your desired shape
your design out of the slabs
, & fire again.
1. positive & negative space
the holes are just as visually important
2. successfully creating a container with slabs
scoring & slipping, creating a template
3. accurately pierce the clay
physically cut the clay without breaking it
4. a concept behind your artwork
a driving force of why you want to make it