Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Gregor Mendel
Mr. Sack Gregor Mendel was an Austrian botanist, teacher, and prelate.
EARLY LIFE Original name: Johann Mendel
BOrn: July 22, 1822
Death: January 4, 1844 Was raised in a rural country Was raised in a rural country Was sent to school at age 11 Had to return home due to finacial difficulties Entered the monastery, was given the name Gregor there. Was an intellectual and diverse community EXPERIMENT Was put in charge of the experimental garden Conducted his experiments with pea plants Had controlled and independent variables Dominant and recessive traits were formed Major Contributions the results formed the first and second laws of heredity:
1. the law of segregation; this law states that genes are always in pairs and
during division of the cell and each gene will be present in half the cell.
2. the second law: the law of independent assortment; which states each
pair of genes is inherited independently of all othe rpairs. It's only true if
the chracteristics are located on different chromosomes.
Mendel also discovered these laws of heredity 1) heredity factors must exist
2) two factors exist for each characteristic
3) At the time of sex cell formation, heredity factors of a pair separate equally into the gametes (the sperm or the egg)
4) gametes bear only one factor for each characteristic
5) gametes join randomly no matter what factors they carry
6) different hereditary factors sort independently when gametes are formed
AFTERMATH Took 8 years to complete Was not credited with his findings until after his death Most people were not sure what to think of Mendel and his experiments Most didn't believe him because he wasn't an offical scientist In the 1900s he was finally given credit by Hugo de Vries Mendel thus founded genetics From the experiments Mendel concluded that traits were not necessarily blended or mixed. Instead they were inherited. Sometimes a trait can be carried and not expressed.
QUOTES My scientific studies have afforded me great gratification; and I am convinced that it will not be long before the whole world acknowledges the results of my work. The value and utility of any experiment are determined by the fitness of the material to the purpose for which it is used, and thus in the case before us it cannot be immaterial what plants are subjected to experiment and in what manner such experiment is conducted. Gregor Mendel was the first to discover the laws of heredity First to lay the mathematical foundation of the science of genetics
Now called Mendelism.
Citations Olby, Robert. "Mendel, Gregor." Britannica Biographies. 1994-2008. Student Research Center. EBSCOhost. David R. LaRock Library. Richfield, MN. 19 April 2010. <http://web.ebschohost.com> "Gregor Mendel Quotes." Brainy Quote. 2010. 19 April 2010. <http://www.brainyquote.com> "Gregor Johann Mendel." DISCOvering Biography. 2003. DISCOvering Collection. GALE CENGAGE Learning. David R. LaRock Library. Richfield, MN. 19 April 2010. <http://find.galegroup.com> Secko, David. "A Monk's Flourishing Garden: The Basics of Molecular Biology Explained." The Science Creative Quarterly. 2009. 19 April 2010. <http://www.scq.ubc.ca>