Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Why Technology is Bad for Society
Transcript of Why Technology is Bad for Society
-However, it has actually caused countless problems, from global warming to health problems like myopia and cancer
-There are many ways regular people like you can help stop this situation
-You could rely less on communication technology and actually talk face to face with your friends.
-If we all stop relying on technology for everything we do then the world will be much more peaceful
In Singapore -> 80% of teenagers are myopic, up from 25%, just 30 years ago, and 80% up in Israel for 14-18 year old boys.
NO UR NOT
Technology Can Be Bad For Health
First of all, technology is unhealthy.
We are exposed to x-ray radiation with TV's, computers, and other technology.
-On your cell phone -> brain receives radiation
-Radiation causes brain disease since the brain receives larger amount of radiation
-In 2008, 26% of all IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) complaints were from internet auction fraud
-Additionally, computer fraud accounted for 3.8% of all complaints, each person losing an average of
-Expressions can be missed in texts and emails.
How Technology Today is Bad for Society
Also, technology can affect people's social behavior as well as their academic behavior.
-To add onto computer/TV addiction -> behavior more aggressive
- Proven that when staring
at a computer or TV screen you blink less
- Decreasing eye-vision greatly in a short period of time
Although many say technology makes
looking up information and communicating
with people a breeze, whatever you are
doing on the computer, radiation is still
-Once people -> done looking
up info or socializing
-Won't want to get off like
drug addiction as said before.
Some people say that technology can be helpful to look up info and connect with people.
-Reliance on technology can
-Info on internet can be right as can be wrong ->
-With more technology, more electricity is being used
-Soon, USA won't reserve electricity to support the whole country. What do we do then?
In fact, according to study done by the Kaiser Family Foundation, an average kid from 8-18 years spends about seven and a half hours a day using media.
Technology has caused an increased rate of crime from internet auction fraud to cyberbullying.
-Statistics from Canada -> sitting down all day is contributing factor ->obesity
-Risk of death -> 1.54 times higher for sitting people
As well as unhealthy to humans, technology is also unhealthy to the earth.
Do you have an iPhone, iPod, or any
- Touchscreens -> vulnerable to germs and viruses
- Results from study done in Journal of Applied
- 30% of a virus transferred to hands, leading to colds/flus
-Do you check your smartphone or iPod before you go to sleep?
-Studies show that bright
lights from devices disturb a good night's sleep
- Suppressing the production of melatonin that tells your body to rest
- Trick brain into thinking it’s daytime.
By Shalini Kunapuli,
Jasmine Zhang, and
-With new devices out annually -> stay up to date, even when money not available
-Causes more debt and possibly bankruptcy
-With bankruptcy and debt -> stressed and agitated
-Affects behavior and social life
-Tend to use abbreviations/shortcuts to say certain things when texting/chatting
-Example: "lol" really meaning "laugh out loud"
-These decrease grammar intelligence -> affect speech and writing
-Guns promote violence
-Damage one's personality or train of thought -Brainwashing the person
-As well as problems of fraud/hacks -> is violence.
-People get impression that violence is ok
-Soon -> deaths
Weapons are also bad for health and can hurt or kill people.
-PSN Network Hack - April 20, 2011
-77 million people's names, addresses, birthdates, emails, and credit card numbers -> stolen
-Just one of numerous illegal and dangerous feats people do
-Technology has ability to affect social behavior dramatically as you are addicted, like drug addiction.
-Too much time on computers/TVs wastes time
-Exercise on the bottom of priority list
-People don't make social connections with friends
-Shown that many rely on cellphones/ Internet -> communicate and avoid awkward conversations
-Easier to express ideas in face-to-face conversation
Technology is changing our lives.
-Certain disease that developed with technology -> sitting disease
-Sitting in front of technology -> increases chance of heart disease, diabetes and obesity
- ABC. "Young People Cop to It: Technology Is Bad for Us - ABC News." ABCNews.com: Breaking News, Politics, World News, Good Morning America, Exclusive Interviews - ABC News. ABC News Money, 15 May 2009. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=7590263&page=2>.
- Camlot, Heather. "Hard Habit to Break." Work Life Play Cafe. WorkLifePlayCafe. 24 Mar. 2011. Web. 26 Apr, 2011. .
- Crovitz, L.Gordon. "Is Technology Good or Bad? Yes. - WSJ.com." Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com. Dow Jones and Company Inc., 23 Apr, 2011. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. .
- "Does Technology Help or Hurt? | Teen Opinion Essay | Teen Ink." Teen Ink | A teen literary magazine and website. np. nd. Web. 26 Apr. 2011.
- "Don't look too closely - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent." The Independent | News | UK and Worldwide News | Newspaper. The Independent Newspaper, 30 Aug. 2004. Web. 26 Apr. 2011. <http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/dont-look-too-closely-558289.html>.
- Ganapati, Priya. "Study Reveals How Much Cellphone Radiation You’re Getting | Gadget Lab | Wired.com."Wired.com . Gadget Lab, 9 Sept. 2009. Web. 4 May 2011. <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/cellphone-radiation/>.
- Grohol, John. "Why Reliance on Technology is a Bad Thing | World of Psychology." Psych Central - Trusted mental health, depression, bipolar, ADHD and psychology information. Psych Central. 10 June, 2009. Web. 30 Apr, 2011. .
- Hilpern, Kate. "TV, Computers Cause Irreparable Harm To Eyesight." Jeff Rense Program. np. 31 Aug, 2004. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- "How is technology bad for your health? - Yahoo! Answers." Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo! Inc. nd. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- Kram. "Good Technology? Bad Technology? | PCMech." PCMech - Computers and Technology for Normal People. np. 13 July, 2006. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- Lewin, Tamar. "If Your Kids Are Awake, They’re Probably Online - NYTimes.com." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. New York Times Education, 20 Jan. 2010. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/education/20wired.html?_r=1>.
- Nelly, Dee. "Technology. Good or Bad?." The Environment Site. The Environment Site. 24 Mar, 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011.
- Prentice, Steve. "Good Technology, Bad Technology." Gartner Blog Network. Gartner Inc. 15 Jan, 2010. Web. 28 Apr, 2011.
- Schreier, Jason. "PlayStation Network Hack Leaves Credit Card Info at Risk | GameLife | Wired.com." Wired.com. Conde Nast Digital. 26 Apr. 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011. .
- Slate, Steven . "Addiction To Technology Similar To Drug Cravings." The Clean Slate Addiction Site Addiction is not a disease, it is a choice.. N.p., 12 Apr. 2011. Web. 26 Apr. 2011. <http://www.thecleanslate.org/addiction-to-technology-similar-to-drug-cravings/>.
- Tan, Emily. "Zapped -- Why Your Technology Is (Really) Bad for Your Health - Lemondrop.com." Lemondrop - Women, Relationships and Modern Life. Lemondrop. 13 Aug, 2010. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- "Texting Driving Deaths on the Rise Texting Driving Deaths." Texting Driving Deaths. np. 21 Apr, 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011. .
Though many people say that technology is useful and helps society, in reality, technology is unhealthy and can cause social and academic problems.
Background Info/Interesting Facts
The average car produces a pound of pollution every 25 miles!
First four countries to have television: England, the U.S., the U.S.S.R., and Brazil.
Car airbags kill 1 person for every 22 lives that they save.
90% of our technology, upon which we base so much of our modern lifestyle, was created within the last 150 years.