Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Why Technology is Bad for Society
Transcript of Why Technology is Bad for Society
-However, it has actually caused countless problems, from global warming to health problems like myopia and cancer
-There are many ways regular people like you can help stop this situation
-You could rely less on communication technology and actually talk face to face with your friends.
-If we all stop relying on technology for everything we do then the world will be much more peaceful
In Singapore -> 80% of teenagers are myopic, up from 25%, just 30 years ago, and 80% up in Israel for 14-18 year old boys.
NO UR NOT
Technology Can Be Bad For Health
First of all, technology is unhealthy.
We are exposed to x-ray radiation with TV's, computers, and other technology.
-On your cell phone -> brain receives radiation
-Radiation causes brain disease since the brain receives larger amount of radiation
-In 2008, 26% of all IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) complaints were from internet auction fraud
-Additionally, computer fraud accounted for 3.8% of all complaints, each person losing an average of
-Expressions can be missed in texts and emails.
How Technology Today is Bad for Society
Also, technology can affect people's social behavior as well as their academic behavior.
-To add onto computer/TV addiction -> behavior more aggressive
- Proven that when staring
at a computer or TV screen you blink less
- Decreasing eye-vision greatly in a short period of time
Although many say technology makes
looking up information and communicating
with people a breeze, whatever you are
doing on the computer, radiation is still
-Once people -> done looking
up info or socializing
-Won't want to get off like
drug addiction as said before.
Some people say that technology can be helpful to look up info and connect with people.
-Reliance on technology can
-Info on internet can be right as can be wrong ->
-With more technology, more electricity is being used
-Soon, USA won't reserve electricity to support the whole country. What do we do then?
In fact, according to study done by the Kaiser Family Foundation, an average kid from 8-18 years spends about seven and a half hours a day using media.
Technology has caused an increased rate of crime from internet auction fraud to cyberbullying.
-Statistics from Canada -> sitting down all day is contributing factor ->obesity
-Risk of death -> 1.54 times higher for sitting people
As well as unhealthy to humans, technology is also unhealthy to the earth.
Do you have an iPhone, iPod, or any
- Touchscreens -> vulnerable to germs and viruses
- Results from study done in Journal of Applied
- 30% of a virus transferred to hands, leading to colds/flus
-Do you check your smartphone or iPod before you go to sleep?
-Studies show that bright
lights from devices disturb a good night's sleep
- Suppressing the production of melatonin that tells your body to rest
- Trick brain into thinking it’s daytime.
By Shalini Kunapuli,
Jasmine Zhang, and
-With new devices out annually -> stay up to date, even when money not available
-Causes more debt and possibly bankruptcy
-With bankruptcy and debt -> stressed and agitated
-Affects behavior and social life
-Tend to use abbreviations/shortcuts to say certain things when texting/chatting
-Example: "lol" really meaning "laugh out loud"
-These decrease grammar intelligence -> affect speech and writing
-Guns promote violence
-Damage one's personality or train of thought -Brainwashing the person
-As well as problems of fraud/hacks -> is violence.
-People get impression that violence is ok
-Soon -> deaths
Weapons are also bad for health and can hurt or kill people.
-PSN Network Hack - April 20, 2011
-77 million people's names, addresses, birthdates, emails, and credit card numbers -> stolen
-Just one of numerous illegal and dangerous feats people do
-Technology has ability to affect social behavior dramatically as you are addicted, like drug addiction.
-Too much time on computers/TVs wastes time
-Exercise on the bottom of priority list
-People don't make social connections with friends
-Shown that many rely on cellphones/ Internet -> communicate and avoid awkward conversations
-Easier to express ideas in face-to-face conversation
Technology is changing our lives.
-Certain disease that developed with technology -> sitting disease
-Sitting in front of technology -> increases chance of heart disease, diabetes and obesity
- ABC. "Young People Cop to It: Technology Is Bad for Us - ABC News." ABCNews.com: Breaking News, Politics, World News, Good Morning America, Exclusive Interviews - ABC News. ABC News Money, 15 May 2009. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=7590263&page=2>.
- Camlot, Heather. "Hard Habit to Break." Work Life Play Cafe. WorkLifePlayCafe. 24 Mar. 2011. Web. 26 Apr, 2011. .
- Crovitz, L.Gordon. "Is Technology Good or Bad? Yes. - WSJ.com." Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com. Dow Jones and Company Inc., 23 Apr, 2011. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. .
- "Does Technology Help or Hurt? | Teen Opinion Essay | Teen Ink." Teen Ink | A teen literary magazine and website. np. nd. Web. 26 Apr. 2011.
- "Don't look too closely - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent." The Independent | News | UK and Worldwide News | Newspaper. The Independent Newspaper, 30 Aug. 2004. Web. 26 Apr. 2011. <http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/dont-look-too-closely-558289.html>.
- Ganapati, Priya. "Study Reveals How Much Cellphone Radiation You’re Getting | Gadget Lab | Wired.com."Wired.com . Gadget Lab, 9 Sept. 2009. Web. 4 May 2011. <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/cellphone-radiation/>.
- Grohol, John. "Why Reliance on Technology is a Bad Thing | World of Psychology." Psych Central - Trusted mental health, depression, bipolar, ADHD and psychology information. Psych Central. 10 June, 2009. Web. 30 Apr, 2011. .
- Hilpern, Kate. "TV, Computers Cause Irreparable Harm To Eyesight." Jeff Rense Program. np. 31 Aug, 2004. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- "How is technology bad for your health? - Yahoo! Answers." Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo! Inc. nd. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- Kram. "Good Technology? Bad Technology? | PCMech." PCMech - Computers and Technology for Normal People. np. 13 July, 2006. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- Lewin, Tamar. "If Your Kids Are Awake, They’re Probably Online - NYTimes.com." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. New York Times Education, 20 Jan. 2010. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/education/20wired.html?_r=1>.
- Nelly, Dee. "Technology. Good or Bad?." The Environment Site. The Environment Site. 24 Mar, 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011.
- Prentice, Steve. "Good Technology, Bad Technology." Gartner Blog Network. Gartner Inc. 15 Jan, 2010. Web. 28 Apr, 2011.
- Schreier, Jason. "PlayStation Network Hack Leaves Credit Card Info at Risk | GameLife | Wired.com." Wired.com. Conde Nast Digital. 26 Apr. 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011. .
- Slate, Steven . "Addiction To Technology Similar To Drug Cravings." The Clean Slate Addiction Site Addiction is not a disease, it is a choice.. N.p., 12 Apr. 2011. Web. 26 Apr. 2011. <http://www.thecleanslate.org/addiction-to-technology-similar-to-drug-cravings/>.
- Tan, Emily. "Zapped -- Why Your Technology Is (Really) Bad for Your Health - Lemondrop.com." Lemondrop - Women, Relationships and Modern Life. Lemondrop. 13 Aug, 2010. Web. 30 Apr, 2011.
- "Texting Driving Deaths on the Rise Texting Driving Deaths." Texting Driving Deaths. np. 21 Apr, 2011. Web. 28 Apr, 2011. .
Though many people say that technology is useful and helps society, in reality, technology is unhealthy and can cause social and academic problems.
Background Info/Interesting Facts
The average car produces a pound of pollution every 25 miles!
First four countries to have television: England, the U.S., the U.S.S.R., and Brazil.
Car airbags kill 1 person for every 22 lives that they save.
90% of our technology, upon which we base so much of our modern lifestyle, was created within the last 150 years.