Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Zombie: A History
Transcript of The Zombie: A History
everything you could possibly need to know
by Allison Tubiak
Terminology of Zombies
is a collective name for fictional, mythological, or legendary beings that are deceased yet behave as if alive. Undead may be incorporeal, such as ghosts, or corporeal, such as vampires and zombies.
is a dead person that is brought back to life through a curse (voodoo, necromancy) or a mutation and has recovered some vital functions like movement.
Types of Zombies
Kinda boring....but basic information on zombies
- Haitian zombies were once normal people, but underwent zombification by a "bokor" or voodoo sorcerer, through spell or potion
- the victim then dies and becomes a mindless automaton, incapable of remembering the past, unable to recognize loved ones and doomed to a life of miserable toil under the will of the zombie master
- philosophical zombie, is a hypothetical being that is indistinguishable from a normal human being except that it lacks conscious experience
- zombies are mere automaton, completely 'mindless' in the conscious sense.
- modern zombies come in mobs and waves, seeking either flesh to eat or people to kill or infect
- generally incapable of communication and show no signs of personality or rationality
- viral/infection, fast moving, parasite, radioactive
- infected, but not deceased and re-animated
- the victim will 'turn' while still alive, and while the virus infects the brain and inhabits the blood, will not physically change the body.
- while losing that which makes them human, they become filled with rage and will attack any living being while recognizing its own.
Description of Zombies
zombies have the appearance of the living but have a lack of free will and souls
- insatiable and endless desire to consume living animal flesh, usually human seems to be their only motive for existence
- incapable of speech, but often tend to make moaning and guttural sounds
- display visible signs of desiccation and decay on their face and body
- they have blank, expressionless faces that
- become more animated when they get hungry and
engage in a feeding frenzy.
- they are normally encountered wearing whatever clothing they wore in their human life, prior to reanimation.
- long-held, common misconception is that zombies are immortal
- In fact, the vast majority of zombies live less than one year
- It is possible to determine a zombie's age based on their external appearance; specifically, their level of decomposition, also known as necrotic degradation.
- found throughout the world in many cultures
- Haitian Voodoo is a religion originating from the Caribbean country of Haiti
- it is based upon a merging of the beliefs and practices of West African peoples, with Roman Catholic Christianity
- as a part of the voodoo religion, Haitians believe that magicians called bokors, or houngans, can revive the recently dead, turning them into mindless, soulless servants called zombies
Zombie Apocalypse and Survival...very useful stuff
- usually starts by some kind of outbreak of a ‘zombie plague’ due to an infectious disease
- zombies are usually motivated by a need to consume living humans or at least fulfil an imperative to retransmit an infection by biting or clawing their victims
- those killed by or infected by zombies usually turn into zombies themselves
- the plague spreads quickly, exponentially, and is unable to be controlled
- Usually the authorities are slow to understand the true nature of the threat, first responding with inaction or inappropriate tactics and thus giving it time to grow beyond hope of containment, leading to the panicked collapse of civilian society
- there is no way to stop the dead from rising after the phenomenon has begun
- the survivors barricade themselves in protective shelters and are forced to scavenge for food and supplies in a world reduced to a pre-industrial hostile wilderness
The zombie apocalypse or Z-Day is a particular scenario of the end of civilization that involves a widespread rise of zombies hostile to human life.
Why Don't Zombies Attack Each Other?
How do you kill a zombie?
Do zombies have super strength?
Can I outrun a zombie?
In what ways can I become infected?
Where do I go in the event of an actual zombies apocalypse ?
Develop your skills
Keep your body in good physical condition
Prepare your mind
Prepare a retreat
How to destroy zombies
- Zombies are attracted to light, noise, and meat
- Zombies are highly susceptible to fire
- Zombies can also be dispatched by causing extreme trauma to their brain
Sheltering in a vehicle to which you do not have the keys
Leave blades, cudgels or other basic weapons out for zombies to find
Give your only weapon to anyone who is hysterical
Retreat to a basement or cellar without taking supplies with you
Get into an elevator in a building infested with zombie
Letting personal feelings and arguments get in the way of survival
Try to be a hero
Run Like Hell
Hit the road
Beware of Bathrooms
Have no Attachments
Travel in a Group
Think of strategy
Always prepare a lot of supplies
Don't be a hero
Enjoy the Little Things
If You Get Bitten Keep It a Secret
Movies, Books, and Games
The Voodoo Era: 1932-1943
White Zombie 1932
Zombie Science: 1943-1968
Revenge of the Zombies 1943
The Gore Zombie: 1968-1980
Night of the Living Dead 1968
Dawn of the Dead 1978
Zombie Boredom: 1980-1990
The funny zombie: 1990-2002
Revenge of the humans: from 2002
Pet Sematary 1989
The Return of the Living Dead 1985
Dead Alive 1992
Shaun of the Dead 2004
28 Days Later 2002
Then and Now
Zombie Events and Paraphernalia
is an organized public gathering of people who dress up in zombie costumes. Usually taking place in an urban center, the participants make their way around the city streets and through shopping malls to a public space in a somewhat orderly fashion.
is a community service and disaster preparedness organization that uses the metaphor of a "Zombie Apocalypse" for any natural or man-made disaster (hurricane, terrorism, earthquake, etc.).
Human vs. Zombies
is a live-action game predominantly played at US college campuses where players begin as Humans and try to survive in a story where Zombies have begun to rise from the dead. The ultimate goal of the game is for either all Humans to be turned into Zombies, or for the humans to survive a set amount of time.
Why Are People So Obsessed
- People want to smash and maim and kill people, but people can't.
Our fascination with death and dead things
- The undead are clearly the bad guys and they therefore should be killed
- Creative element to it.
how would you defend your home?
How would you arm yourself?
Where would you choose to hold out? etc etc etc.
A zombie apocalypse=society collapses=everything is fair game.
Nobody is better than anyone else.
Like starting your life over,
Except you'd be a cooler, zombie killing machine
Also, you could also imagine all the people you dislike becoming zombies.
Brains! Brains! Brains!
Modified from Gloria Barbieri's Prezi
The Zombie Apocalypse?