Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Illustrated Guide to a PhD
Transcript of The Illustrated Guide to a PhD
Every fall, I explain to a fresh batch of Ph.D. students what a Ph.D. is. It's hard to describe it in words.
Matt Might, Ph.D.
University of Utah
Imagine a circle that contains all of human knowledge.
By the time you finish high school, you know a bit more
By the time you finish elementary school, you know a little.
A master's degree deepens that specialty.
Reading research papers takes you to the edge of human knowledge.
Once you're at the boundary, you focus.
You push at the boundary for a few years
Until one day,
the boundary gives way.
With a bachelor's degree,
you gain a specialty.
And, that dent you've made is called a Ph.D.
Of course, the world looks different to you now.
So, I use pictures.
Prezi by PreziJedi