Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Government Transparency
In terms of spending there was a relatively large scandal a few years ago.
That was for the expenses incurred by MPs.
Government Spending is available online for purchase of above twenty five thousand pounds.
The military has dodged the most of the criticisms of their American counterparts. Stance What does the president have to say about transparency? Barack Obama Structure This is what he thinks They're somewhat Hypocritical There are some things Uncle Sam George W. Bush Barack Obama Bill Clinton Transparency The United States Government has been notorius with the lack
transparency that is needed with developed countries.
Allegations of torture against teh CIA and the deplorable condi
tions in Guantanamo Bay.
With matters such as torture and homeland security the govern
ment has been tight lipped.
With spending however the information that is given is as much
more than other developed countries. Transparency Scale Government Transparency by Sabin Guragain
& Jordan Lee In Recent News In a move that pleased good government groups and some journalists, President Obama issued new orders today designed to improve the federal government's openness and transparency. The first memo instructs all agencies and departments to "adopt a presumption in favour" of Freedom of Information Act requests, while the second memo orders the director of the Office of Management and Budget to issue recommendations on making the federal government more transparent. ‘The Government should not keep information confidential merely because public officials might be embarrassed by disclosure, because errors and failures might be revealed, or because of speculative or abstract fears," USA works to increase government transparency, strengthen institutions, enable citizen oversight and ultimately ensure that governments are accountable to the public. USA focuses on promoting ethical standards for public officials in all branches of government, limiting undue influence and expanding access to information. Jurisdiction • Constitution- Is it our right as voters in a democracy to know what is happening in the elected government?
• All jurisdiction- covers legal, financial, public service, etc.
• Government privacy
• Overseeing elected officials, executive, bureaucrats and elected
• Wikileaks is a key example. It signals a new transparent age, and is good for the empowered citizen, and not holding back information, but it has been criticized for exposing classified information which harms national security and international diplomacy -- So while some like the transparent age, there are things that the government needs to conceal Pros Cons • Government transparency matters, because it reduces the corruptibility of government
• People deserve to know what their leaders are doing in a democratic government, especially if they are using taxpayers money
• However it’s good to keep a lid on stuff, because it would be too hard to get stuff done if people are constantly complaining
• Also the executive may do stuff that doesn’t make sense for people in the presence, but it’s important in the long-term or for some other reason (president knows best)
• If governments release some info and not all, people may come to the wrong conclusion, with only half of the puzzle
• If they leak it out to the people, the whole world will be able to find out, which can be a huge negative, especially if there are enemies of the country
Slow Adaptors • They don’t want to be totally transparent
• Refer to cons above
• Government transparency doesn’t matter without accountability
Government The government itself does not have major scandals.
MPs and those who run the parties however are a different story. MP's and Parties • British MP’s however are often embroiled in many different scandals. Most of these are spending and money for influence scandals.
• The Labour Party(the government) was embroiled in these scandals.
• That was the main reason for their loss in the recent British Election.
Government Transparency is the willingness of a government to release information about its dealings to the general populace. What if I spend $24999 at a time? What Would You Do? Discussion Is total transparency a good thing or are there things that should be kept a secret from the general populace? Scandals Globe and Mail article Pompous Ted Kennedy tried to rent entire brothel during 1961 visit to Chile,
FBI Memo reveals Info was released by Judicial watch, which it obtained through Freedom of Information lawsuit "Judicial Watch said it waged a "tough" fight with the Obama administration for access to the previously secret document" "The family has no legal power to keep information withheld, the FBI said, but the bureau does consider privacy concerns on a case-by-case basis" Key Example of transparency Prime Minster's website Clear that they value transparency "We want to be the most open and transparent government
in the world. Already, we've published a huge amount of new
information about the inner workings of government, and
there's a lot more still to come."