Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
When Bullying Goes Digital: Student Version
Transcript of When Bullying Goes Digital: Student Version
When Bullying Goes Digital
Artists Against Bullying
A Tragedy in Western Massachusetts That Resonated Around the World
“Cyberbullying is bullying through email, instant messaging (IM-ing), chat room exchanges, Web site posts, or digital messages or images sent to a cellular phone or personal digital assistant (PDA) (Kowalski et al. 2008). Cyberbullying, like traditional bullying, involves an imbalance of power, aggression, and a negative action that is often repeated.” from Violence Prevention Works!
Anonymity (hidden identity)
Lack of Social Cues
Fears of Retaliation (of victims)
Potential of Public Embarrassment
Viral Aspect (digital media)
Pew Internet Report:
Teens, Kindness and Cruelty on Social Networking Sites
* Majority of teens have positive online experiences
* Some get caught in an online feedback loop of meanness and negative experiences
* Girls ages 12-13 have the most negative assessment of social network spaces.
* 88% of social media-using teens have seen someone be mean or cruel on a social network site.
* 15% of social media-using teens have experienced someone being mean or cruel to them personally on a social network site.
* Tell a trusted adult
* Find friends as allies
* Document the bullying behavior
* Don't respond directly
* Block the bully
* Moderate online spaces (shut off comments)
* Don't fall into despair
Be an "Upstander"
* If you see bullying happening, say something
* Don't fall into peer pressure and join in
* Be part of the solution, not the problem
Help You Find
A Way Out of
the Bullying Maze
One Girl's Story