Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of ANTI-OXIDANTS
Transcript of Copy of ANTI-OXIDANTS
Scientific name: Coffea arabica
Common name: coffee
Part used: seed
Coffee is the biggest source of antioxidants in the western diet;
polyphenols (catechin, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid) ,flavonoid quercetin . It also includes alkaloids (caffeine & trigonelline) , nicotinic acid, and furfuraldehyde, and carbohydrates (mannitol).
• caffeic acid exhibited highest oxygen radical absorbing capacity thus it inhibits cancer cell proliferation.
• compounds remained in roasted coffee residues showed a protective effect on a liposome model system.
• catechin flavonoids may protect against neurotoxic oxidative stress.
• Mannitol is a powerful scavenger for hydroxyl radicals.
Side effects :
1*Coffee is safe for most adults.
Drinking more than 6 cups/day ==> “caffeinism”
2*Coffee containing caffeine can cause
insomnia, nervousness, nausea.
Coffee is contraindicated for persons with hypertension & high cholesterol. Pregnant and lactating women should also avoid it.
Ephedrine (stimulant drug) interacts with COFFEE
Scientific name: Juglans nigra, Juglans regia
Common name: Black Walnut, English walnut
Part used: Edible seed
The active principle of the nuts is juglone. The seed is rich in antioxidants; Melatonin, phenols, vitamin E, gallic acid (phenolic acid) and ellagic acid and good source of (PUFA). Also proteins, fiber, B vitamins and minerals.
English walnuts contain a greater content of phenolic acids and flavonols than black walnuts.
Antioxidant plays an important role to prevent cancer and other disease. They also have role in slowing ageing process and preventing heart disease. So antioxidant are very much necessary for our body .But our body can’t manufacture these chemicals , so they must be supplied through diet.
Antioxidant may be harmful for our body in some cases. normal concentration vitamin C and beta carotene are antioxidant but at higher concentration they are pro oxidant and thus harmful .
Taking chemicals without understanding of all their effect may disrupt this balance
Drug name: Vaccinium Cyanococcus.
part used : the whole fruit.
Active constituent :
Blueberries contain anthocyanins, and various phytochemicals with the essential dietary mineral manganese, vitamin C, vitamin K and dietary fiber .
Pharmacological action :
-Anthocyanin flavonoids reduce cancer cell proliferation inhibit tumor formation. by the inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes and increasing the activity of the antioxidant enzymes.
We Are Glad To Introduce You
Have you ever asked yourself what Anti-Oxidant
Elements in our body tissue comprise molecule
Arthritis , .......
These highly reactive radicals capture electrons from healthy cell molecules causing it damage what release more free radicals forming the so called "
So what are the most famous Anti-Oxidants??
• The antiproliferative properties of ellagic acid may be due to its ability to directly inhibit the DNA binding of certain carcinogens. it has a
effect in cellular models by reducing oxidative stress.
• Melatonin is a direct scavenger of radical oxygen and nitrogen species including OH, O2−, and NO.
• Gallic acid boost the immune system to protect human cells against oxidative damage.
• Walnut flavonols may be responsible for its improved ability to protect LDL against oxidation .
keep your immune system healthy and prevent the onset of diseases.
it can help keep the risk of the most breast cancer away.
keep the nervous system working smoothly and improves your memory by reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease.
Melatonin induces a good night's sleep.
protect the skin against free radical damage, thus preventing the signs of aging.
Reduce blood pressure and the cholesterol level.
For inflammatory diseases like Asthma, Arthritis and Eczema.
"Nothing else comes close to providing as many antioxidants as coffee"
Go and Grab a cup of coffee
What are you waiting for?!
1. Enhance immunity.
2. protects against Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) .
3. Helps Fight Heart Disease.
" Kiwi fruit has the same anti-clotting benefits as Aspirin with no side effects"
4. protects against respiratory symptoms associated with asthma such as wheezing.
5. Improves Digestive Health.
6. improves sleep quality .
7. Helps Clean Out Toxins.
8. Facilitating weight loss and promotes general health.
Drug name: Actinidia deliciosa
Part used: the fruit
• Kiwi fruit contains high levels of vitamin C, k and E, flavonoids, catechins, carotenoids, such as beta-carotene.
•Amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin (30-50%) are also present in kiwi fruit.
• Kiwifruit seed contains alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 fatty acid
Kiwi seems to be safe for most people including pregnants when used in food amounts. In people who are allergic to kiwi, it can cause allergic reactions such as dysphagia, vomiting.
Cautions and contraindications:
If you have a latex allergy, avoid eating kiwi or products that contain it.
"Enjoying just a couple of kiwifruit each day may significantly lower risk for blood clots and reduce the amount of fats in blood, Helping to protect cardiovascular health"
Kiwi vitamin C reduce damage from oxidative stress by scavenging the reactive oxygen species generated in human plasma.
• kiwifruit has fascinated researchers for its ability to protect DNA in the nucleus of human cells from oxygen-related damage. kiwi flavonoids and carotenoids have demonstrated antioxidant activity, these phytonutrients in kiwi may be responsible for this DNA protection.
• decrease the growth of cervical and breast cancer cells.
• reducing effects of age related conditions such as Alzheimer's or Dementia
• Preventing cataracts and glaucoma.
• Urinary tract infections.
• Cut belly fat.
Blueberry fruit is likely safe for most people in ordinary dose.
Blueberry might lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
1 cup of Blueberry = Yummy food
Classification Of Anti-Oxidants
Carotenoids are fat soluble pigments. The antioxidant function of beta-carotene is due to its ability to quench singlet oxygen and protect the cell membrane lipids from the harmful effects of oxidative degradation.
Secondary Group (phytochemicals)
Ascorbic acid a water-soluble, antioxidant
Alpha-tocopherol is the major lipid soluble antioxidant
Endogenous (Cellular Antioxidant):
.It is also a fat soluble antioxidant
It is both fat and water soluble
A protein that is produced by the liver
A type of plant pigment, found in fruits and vegs, also in red wine, beer, chocolate, coffee, and soy. (directly) Because of the high reactivity of the hydroxyl group of the flavonoids, they stabilize the reactive oxygen species. (indirectly) Flavonoids may increase the function of the endogenous antioxidants
IN ADDITION TO SOME MINERALS SUCH AS "SELENIUM"& "ZINC", Hormones (melatonin), vitamin A.
Drug name: Phaseolus vulgaris
Part used: unripe seed
There are a several varieties of red beans, including
• small red beans.
• red kidney beans.
• azuki beans (Japanese).
* Active constituent:
Rich in flavonoids, particularly in proanthocyanidins (condensed tannins), molybdenum, folate, Diatery fibers, thiamin-B1, vitamin E , iron, magnesium, manganese, and vitamin K.
* pharmacological action:
-proanthocyanidins have high oxygen radical absorbance capacity.
-Manganese responsible for disarming free radicals in mitochondria.
- vitamin K protect cells from oxidative stress, reducing chances of cancer.
• helps lower your blood cholesterol levels & stabilize blood sugar levels.
• reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease.
• increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores.
• For Alzheimer's disease .
* Side Effects:
When eated soaked raw or undercooked beans poisoning occur.
Symptoms: diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
Not know. It's safe for pregnants.
Go with a 1/2 cup
The recommended procedure is to boil soaked raw beans in water for at least 10 minutes to 100°C, since exposing the compound to 80° C actually increases its toxicity about 5 times.
So Be Smart And:
1. Follow a balanced training program that emphasizes regular exercise & Eat 5 servings of fruit or vegetables per day.
2. Look for upcoming FDA recommendations & Be wary of advertising and media hype.
3. Never over supplement.
*Contra-indications and Cautions:
There are no known contraindications.
The topical application of the astringent black walnut, in conjunction with the acne product tretinoin, may adversely affect the skin. Walnut interferes with the absorption of iron.
Walnut can cause softening of the stools and bloating, as well as weight gain unless other fats are removed from the diet. Also, may cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to it.
What Do You Think ???!
Add Milk To Tea.
Add Lemon To Tea.
Boil Or Steam Vegs.
Raw Or Roasted PeaNuts.
*The Presentation Contents :
- Introduction of Anti-oxidants.
- The 5 Anti-oxidant drugs are:
- Conclusion & Recommendation.
Designed by : Omnia Gamal 168