Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Comprehension Instruction: Defining What Works
Transcript of Comprehension Instruction: Defining What Works
Defining What Works Look at that! Your kids are reading so beautifully! You have successfully taught
them to read!
Right? research shows that 1/3
of "good readers" are NOT
understanding what they read! But isn't that the point of reading? NO!! Lets look at... What do good readers do? so now what? 1. They PREDICT 2. They QUESTION 3. They VISUALIZE 4. They SUMMARIZE Picture walks
K-W-L charts What does the author mean?
What is this about?
Teacher-directed questions mental pictures
poetry! "50 words or less"
paraphrasing (use your own words!)
Hmm.... so how do I teach it? Reciprocal Teaching Student-teacher pairs teacher models strategies supports the student as they take over small groups Fishbowl! ...ULTIMATELY.....
We want ALL of our kids to do what GOOD readers do We don't just want fluency! Comprehension is KEY!