Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Electromagnetic Spectrum
Travels in waves and has broad spectrum, long radio waves to short gamma rays
Humans only see a small portion called light, there are tons of more types of energy in the spectrum.
(c-band) microwaves penetrate through dust, smoke, snow, etc
Passive remote sensing
- = sensing of electromagnetic waves
can pass through clouds which enables them to monitor condition below hurricanes.
- data set, temperature data
Natural Color Image
- captures visible light data to create natural color
- used to help visualize data from wavelength
-waves in water/sound & caused by disturbance in matter
Light is made out of "
Photons carry momentum, no mass, same speed as light
can be shown as Frequency/ Wavelngth/ energy
Longest wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum
Anatomy of Electromagnetic Wave
portion/band, found at high frequency end of radio spectrum
Radio Emissions -
emissions from sources, like radio bursts from sun
Can be measured up to the length of a football up to lengths larger than earth.
Radio Telescopes -
Huge telescopes that study the
planets, comets, stars, etc. by studying their radio waves
William Herschel measured temp.
of all colors, at red end was warmest, infrared light
Infrared Energy = Heat
visible = Night vision goggles
or infrared cameras
& it`s invisible with naked eyes
Cool Astronomy -
Things in universe too cool/faint,
only detected by IR waves
higher temp -
Lower temp -
= source for visible light waves
(the eye receives)
= outer layer of the sun
The color of stars tell about their temperature of the Sun.
- pattern of dark lines
- have very small wavelengths,(0.03~3nanometers)
shorter wavelength and higher energy than UV light.
X-rays were 1st observed/tested by German scientist "Wilhelm Conrad" in
X-rays can take detailed images of bones, since it's dense
Physical temp of object determines the wavelength it emits.
High Energy waves travel along magnetic poles
scientists study formation of stars
since they shine at these wavelengths
– So small can pass through space between atoms
– Detected by thing called Compton Scattering
Gamma Ray Bursts
Super Strong energy that can be produced in 10 seconds when sun takes 10 bil. yrs.
– used to detect elements on other planets
Full Spectrum Image