Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
SIOP: Building Background
Transcript of SIOP: Building Background
Learning and New Learning Developing Key
Vocabulary: Academic Language Academic Language Vocabulary Instruction Strategies to Teach Vocabulary Links to New Concepts How do you link the past learnings to current teaching? Links to the Past Activating Prior Knowledge How do they differ instructionally? Building Background Concepts Linked to
Student Backgrounds Structure Discussions
KWL Charts Read a story, article or play
View a video
Use insert method What have you used in the past?
What is effective?
What would you like to use this week? Who remembers what we have learned in the past
Let's review our graphic organizer
How does this relate to what we learned last week? Let's look at what we are going to learn now
Let me show you an overview of the unit
Let's preview this chapter Content Words
Process/ Function Words
share with a partner, discuss,
therefore, in conclusion, moreover
Words and Word Parts that Teach English Structure
The Red Book - Cognates
Common Roots - Latin and Greek
Academic Word lists
Tier 1 - Words they know
Tier 2 - Words they don't know and need in a wide variety of situations
Tier 3 -Words they don't know and won't use often 1. Students should be active in developing their understanding
2. Students should personalize word learning through practice
3. Students should be immersed in words
4. Students should build on multiple sources of information to learn words through repeated exposures Word Sorts
Contextualizing Key Vocabulary
Vocabulary Self Collection Strategy
Concept Definition Map
List Group Label
Word Study Books
Self Assessment of Levels of Word Knowledge ?
+ Pretest with a partner