Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Corruption of the American Dream (Great Gatsby)
Transcript of Corruption of the American Dream (Great Gatsby)
American Dream The Great Gatsby Introduction Wealth Corruption within the characters and their social status Game Relationships; Marriage, Affairs and Family 'The novel is an exploration of the American Dream as it exists in a corrupt period of history.' (Bailey, Marcus) The Great Gatsby is a 1925 novel written by F. Scott Fitzgerald and relates to the corruption of the American dream. Fitzgerald conveys the idea of corruption in the American dream through aspects such as wealth, social status along with power and relationships involving family and affairs. - Buchanans marriage is full of lies 1. What were the three corruptions of the American Dream and give an example for each.
2. Which of these characters help Scott Fitzgerald get his point across as the corruption of the American Dream?
a) Nick, Daisy, Gatsby and Jordan
b) Myrtle, Gatsby, Tom and Daisy
c) Tom, Gatsby, Daisy and Wilson
d) Gatsby, Nick, Myrtle and Wilson 'Her voice is full of money' (Fitzgerald127) -LOVE = MONEY+POWER - The way Gatsby makes his money - The want for money and materialism throughout The Great Gatsby shows the decay of the American Dream - Wilson - Tom and Daisy focus on wealth and appearance, ignoring the feelings of others - Daisy hardly shows emotion when Gatsby dies. Tom is not upfront about his feelings when Myrtle is murdered 'Daisy ought to have something in her life'(Fitzgerald 85) - Klispringer lived at Gatsby's for a while and calls after he finds out about the death only to collect a pair of shoes - Nick was the only one who showed compassion for Gatsby HOW ?? 'they were careless people, Tom and Daisy. They smashed things and creatures, then retreated back to their money and vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together and let people clean up the mess they made'(Fitzgerald 179) Gatsby Tom Daisy How are these characters corrupt? Tom Daisy Wilson Gatsby *Name was not his original
*Illegal bootlegger= dishonest
*Dreams of calling Daisy his and sharing a perfect future with her * Arrogant & dishonest
* Comes from a rich and stable family
* Can think, feel, act how he wants
* Has an affair with Myrtle * Shows an interest in Gatsby and having an affair on Tom
* No sympathy or care for other people
* Main focus is wealth and stability * Murdered Gatsby for something he was not responsible for
* Committed suicide after killing Gatsby
*Life becomes pointless* Media Clip Conclusion - Blinded by luxurious possessions Gatsby's desire to win Daisy's love is a symbol of his very own version of the American Dream as it was an incredible goal with the constant search to reach it. By the end of the novel there is no hope left because the purity of the American Dream is dead. Shallow people living carelessly in the West and East Egg represents the corruption of the American dream through materialism and wealth, power, different types of relationships and the way people are judged based on their social positions. Fitzgerald does an amazing job with providing evidence of the destruction of the American dream throughout the novel The Great Gatsby. 3. Explain why Gatsby was a character that caused corruption in the American Dream?
4. T or F. Daisy's grief of Gatsby's passing led to her and Tom into moving away?
5. T or F. After Myrtle's death, Tom comfronted Wilson saying that he and Myrtle had an affair and that the yellow car that killed her belonged to Gatsby. 6. What did Nick find out about his cousin daisy and her husband Tom?
7. T or F. Nick and Gatsby's father Henry Gatz were the only ones who showed compassion towards Gatsby after his death? http://www.polleverywhere.com/ http://www.polleverywhere.com/