Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Native American Oral Tradition
Transcript of Native American Oral Tradition
Context - 1492 in North America
Native people spoke hundreds of languages
Cultures structured in diverse forms
Religious and mythological beliefs varied greatly
Native Americans did not use a written alphabet
Is oral tradition literature?
Literature comes from Latin littera, meaning letter
Oral tradition considered literature since Romantic movement (late
18th century) when literature began to be defined not by medium of
expression (written) but type of expression (those that emphasized
Out of necessity we will study these stories on the page, but it is important to remember that they were originally performed orally.
We will continue to study Native American literature throughout the school year. We will examine diverse Native views on key moments in American history.