Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Egg Drop
It's Science Time!
The egg is at rest (while in the top of the bleachers). It stays at rest until I drop it off the bleachers. The egg container(with the egg inside) will fall until an outside force acts on it (the ground).
Free Choice Q&A
2. The container did not move until an unbalanced force acted on it (Libbi dropping it off the bleachers). Because of inertia, the container was stationary. Then when the container was dropped, it didn't stop fall until an unbalanced force (the ground) acted on it. It kept falling due to inertia. Inertia is a property of matter that keeps an objecting doing what it's already doing. When the container is stationary, inertia keeps it stationary. The same goes for when the container was in motion, inertia kept it in motion until the ground stopped it.
m: the mass of the container was about 65 grams or .065 kg.
F: the container was in free fall as it fell so the only force acting on it was gravity. Gravity is equal to 9.8m/s squared. Then I did 9.8 times .065. The answer is
a: the acc. is 9.8m/s squared.
Hi, I'm Laura, and this is my egg drop.
Our class is putting a "stunt egg" in a container we make ourselves. Then we drop the container off the top of bleachers. We have to cushion the egg so it doesn't break.
Here's a picture of my container from the outside.
This is my "Stunt egg" and my project partner Libbi.
On the outside we have:
about 4 layers of cut up socks and
3 or more layers of cotton balls underneath the socks on the bottom.
This is me.
This is what's
Come on in!
Watch this video to see the inside!
When the container falls on the ground, the bottom pushes on the ground. The ground pushes back on the container, which causes the container to instantly fall on it's side. The action is the bottom pushing on the ground and the reaction is the ground pushing back on the container
3. The container has no initial acceleration. It has potential energy (PE) when it's at the top of the bleachers (before it's dropped). The container has energy but no acceleration, velocity or speed. When it's dropped the container has velocity, because it's moving, it has speed, and it has a direction (down/south). If you do
(velocity final minus velocity initial divided by time final minus time initial.) Then you have the objects acceleration or acc.
4. After the container hit the ground, it pushed on the ground. The ground pushed back with an equal force back on the container, causing it to bounce slightly, and tip over. Because the container hit the ground with a strong force, it pushed back equally. When the container fell, gravity pulled it toward the earth. The container pulled the ground towards itself. The forces were unbalanced because gravity was stronger and it pulled the container to the ground, whereas the force between the container and the ground were equal.
Question # 4
Question # 5
One type of frict. force acting on the container is normal force. When the container lands, this keeps gravity from pulling the container to the center of the earth.
Another type of frict. force is grav. force. It is the force of gravity that pulls the container towards the earth as it falls.
Velocity And Speed
Speed: The speed of the container can be found by doing distance/time. The distance from the top of the bleachers to the ground was 4.9 m. The time for the container falling was .91 sec. 4.9/9.1 equals 5.38 m/s.
Velocity: The velocity is speed with direction. Since the container fell down, its velocity is 5.38 m/s to the south.
Inside there are cotton balls
This is how you pack up the egg