Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of PERCENTS
Know About GENETICS! By Ms. LeeAnn Zimmerman Dean and Kayla are expecting, and now they're trying to figure out what color eyes their child will have. Kayla has homozygous blue eyes, Dean has heterozygous green.
Green is dominant to blue.
What is the percent that their child will have blue eyes? The definition of Genetics is a branch of biology that studies heredity. Percents and Genetics Collide? Show the Work Umm...When Will I Ever Use This? Percents are everywhere. We see them all the time.
We see them:
* On signs
* In stores
* At diners
* In commercials
* On coupons
* In the newspaper
* Online Ha! Why Should I Even Care About Percents? Percents seem stupid and useless now, but when you're older, you'll have to deal with percents all the time.
* Car Insurance
* Medical Insurance
* Life Insurance
* Satisfaction ratings Percents? Whaaat? FINAL QUESTION What Are Genetics? The definition of percents is; An amount, such as an allowance or commission, that is a proportion of a larger sum of money.
How To Find PERCENTS
1. Figure out the cost of the item the buyer wishes to purchase.
2. Identify the discount percent, tax percent or both.
3. Divide the percents by 100 in order to get the decimal.
4. Multiply the decimal by the cost of the original item.
5. Use the total you got from multiplying and; subtract if the amount you multiplied was a discount percent, or; add if the amount you multiplied was a tax percent. The answer to this equation is 40.03 That means that when I go grocery shopping, I need to bring about $41 dollars in order to buy what I need. Shopping List 2 Eggs- 1.99 each
3 Milk- 4.00 each
5 Carrots- 3.50 each
2 Citty Krunch- 5.60 each
6 Hot Fries- .50 each 27% DISCOUNT ON ALL STORE ITEMS
15% TAX ON ALL STORE ITEMS Lets Do Some Examples Mark and his best friend , Hank, are out to see a movie. At the movie theater, the boys want to buy one jumbo bag of popcorn. The popcorn costs $25.99, but Mark has a 35% off coupon.
How much was the popcorn after Mark used the coupon? Cost of popcorn: 25.99
Coupon value: 35% off 35/100 = .35 The answer to this equation is $16.89 35% = 35 25.99 x 0.35 = 9.10 25.99 - 9.10 = ? How to Add Tax Percents and Discount Percents 1. Do the first 5 steps you learned earlier.
2. Out of the two percents, you always do the discount equation first.
3. After you get the total of the discount, do the tax equation. Anita is out food shopping for her children. She already has everything she needs except for milk. Normally, milk costs $16.99. Today, the store is selling milk with a 25% off discount with a 10% tax.
If Anita were to buy a gallon of milk, how much would the milk cost? Trey is going to meet up with his cousin, Madyson, downtown at the mall. To get to the mall, Trey has to take the Express Train Station. The ticket to get on the train costs $15.00, plus a fee of 8% to get to the destination he desires.
After the fee, how much does Trey spend at the station? The answer to this equation is $16.20 Cost of ticket: 15.00
Train fee: 8% 8%= 8 8 / 100 = .08 15.00 x 0.08 = 1.20 15.00 + 1.20 = ? Cost of milk: 16.99
Store discount value: 25% 25% = 25 25 / 100 = .25 16.99 x 0.25 = 4.25 16.99 - 4.25 = 12. 74 Cost of milk after discount: 12.79
Store fee: 10% 10% = 10 10 / 100 = .1 12.79 x 0.1 = 1.30 12.79 + 1.30 = ? The answer to this equation is $14.10 I Don't Believe This is Helpful... BORING! And I don't get it. Really? Here's something that'll help with that! Now that we understand percents, let's figure out how much I'm going to spend at the grocery store. SHOW YOUR WORK 2 x 1.99= 3.98
3 x 4.00= 12.00
5 x 3.50= 17.50
2 x 5.60= 11.20
6 x 0.50= 3.00
Total= 47.68 27%=27
47.68 x 0.27= 12.87
47.68 - 12.87= ?
?= 34.81 15%=15
34.81 x 0.15= 5.22
34.81 + 5.22= ? Yay! We understand percents!
Now lets learn about genetics. Some Vocab You Should Know Trait- a genetically determined characteristic
Gene- the basic unit of heredity
Genotype — combination of genes in an organism
Phenotype — outward appearance of an organism, regardless of its genes.
Allele — alternative forms of a gene for each variation of a trait of an organism
Dominant — observed trait of an organism that mask the recessive form of a trait
Recessive — trait of an organism that can be masked by the dominant form of a trait
Heterozygous — when there are two different alleles for a trait - Aa
Homozygous — when there are two identical alleles for a trait - AA A a A a AA Aa Aa aa Example Genetics work well hand in hand with Percents. In order to figure out what children will have one trait, you need to use percents. In order to find a normal percent, divide the top of your fraction to the lower part of the fraction. Then multiply that decimal by 100 in order to get your percent. Here's an example A a a a Aa Aa aa aa A = blonde hair
a = black hair What percent of their children will have black hair? 2 4 = 0.5 = 50% percent of their children will have black hair 50% a a A a Aa Aa aa aa 2
4 = 0.5 = 50% Thank You For Listening!!!!!!