Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sustainable Food Packaging
Transcript of Sustainable Food Packaging
• There are reasons that we’ve been using petroleum-based products as long as we have
• Lack of agreed upon meanings of ‘recyclable’ and ‘eco-friendly'
• ‘Recyclable’ is not always the best option Riva Martin
Magee Dunn Important Numbers • Food packaging is a 440 billion dollar market
• Food industry uses 65% of all packaging
• 40% of total packaging is made of plastic
• Plastic packaging market has a 7% growth rate • Plastic can be as bad for you as it is for the earth
• Each year, Americans throw away enough paper and plastic cups, forks, and spoons to circle the equator 300 times
• Many materials would be recognizable 20 years after being thrown away Basic Idea: The 3 R's Approach Reduce
Recycle Be Green Packaging • World leader in 'green' packaging
• Compostable, tree-free, contain no GMO fibers
• Sustainable Packaging Coalition, Green Mountain Energy, US Composting Council
• Certifications: Cradle-to-Cradle; Tree-free; Biodegradable Products Institute Why Should You Care? Innovia Films Compostable plastic wrap - Natureflex™ In NYC alone, one less grocery bag per person per year would reduce waste by
5 million lbs. and save $250,000 in disposal costs.
In the last decade, Americans wasted 7.1 million tons of cans
Packaging represents roughly one-third of municipal waste in the USA.
Studies show that plastic represents 50-80% of the volume of liter collected from roads, parks, and beaches, and 90% of floating litter in the marine environment
Current research states-paper does not degrade faster than plastic into today’s landfills, in fact nothing completely degrades dues to the lack of water, light, and oxygen.
Incineration can decrease quantity of plastic and paper BUT it creates air pollution and tons of ash. FAST FACTS Carbonated beverages
Salty Snacks (cheesepuffs, chips, pretzels)
PB & Jelly
Bread Contain products, defining the amount the consumer will purchase.
Protects products from contamination, environmental damage, from theft.
Facilitate transportation and storage of products.
Labeled with information and colorful designs that make attractive displays. Primary Uses of Food Packaging PROS & CONS TYPES OF PACKAGING ADVANTAGES: Impermeable to gas & vapors - maintains product freshness without impairing taste/flavor.
Withstands high processing temperatures useful for heat sterilization of low and high-acid foods. Provides good insulation and can be shaped. Reusable and recyclable.
DISADVANTAGES: Heavy weight adds to transportation costs. Susceptibility to breakage form internal pressure, impact, or thermal shock. GLASS METAL
Aluminum, steel, aluminum foil, laminates & metalized films, tinplate, tin-free steel ADVANTAGES: fluid/molding ability, design flexibility, inexpensive, lightweight, heat sealable, easy to print, microwave-ability, strength
DISADVANTAGES: Variable permeability to light, gases, & vapors.
Health concerns regarding residual monomer and components in plastics PLASTICS
More than 30 types used (polyefins & polyesters are most prevalent) White board (made from bleached chemical pulp) is the only type that can come into direct contact with food (inner layer of cartons/packaging)
Other types are more often used in the making of boxes, cartons, and trays for shipping food.
BUT- Solid board is used for soft drinks and fruit juices
Chip board is commonly seen as the outside layer of cereal and tea boxes
Fiber board is resistant to impact/abrasion - good for shipping bulk foods.
-Sandwich wrap which contain 40% post consumer fiber
- Currently the salad bowl and lid are made from 25% recycled PET plastic bottles
-Catering trays & lids are currently made with 25% recycled material and can be recycled.
-The meal-to-go box contains 10% recycled content.
-Their pizza box contains 40% recycled content.
Fast Food Chains Fast Food Packaging Most Purchased Items - Consider the Packaging! Some Background & History ADVANTAGES: Most versatile of all packaging forms because:
1)Excellent physical protection
3)Recyclability & consumer acceptance
4)Light weight and Cost-effective DISADVANTAGES: (Doesn’t apply to all metals)
Inability to be welded(only good for seamless containers), difficulty sorting if recycled, some are very expensive to produce PAPERBOARD
White board, solid board, chip board, fiberboard Fast Food Chains Continued Burger King
-Their FRYPOD container uses a paper that contains 50 percent recycled content
-Kids meal bags made from 100 percent recycled materials
McDonalds Unilever In conclusion... • Sustainable packaging is not hard to implement
• Good for the environment, the economy, and human health
• Many businesses are already getting involved! "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." -- New England proverb Subway Working against "Take, Make, Waste" attitude Unilever Owns Many Brands Over 30 Brands Unilever's Big Plans 100% Waste Free Production for 2020 With all their locations, this will make a big difference