Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Math and Me
Transcript of Math and Me
HOPES & DREAMS
- Attended public school in southeastern Kentucky
Jessica > Epsilon
Mom = Nurse
Dad = Mechanic
Me = Only child!
- Math or English?
Jessica Decides To Go To Grad School
- Computer Science,
- Linear Algebra hooked me
- Abstract Algebra WHOA.
- First two years = struggle
- Pretty bored
- Loved math and reading in 4th grade. Fractions WHOA.
- Favorite high school classes: English, Geometry, Anatomy
- Wanted to be a writer or lawyer
- Jessica fails a math test #1: AP Calculus
- SPWM 2009
- Mom: "Scam!"
- Dad: "Graduation school?"
- Conclusion: Iowa
- Talked to professors
-Jessica fails a math test #2:
GRE Math Subject Exam
- Desire to learn all the things.
- Feelings of inadequacy.
- Friends are important!!!
- Jessica fails a math test #3:
Analysis Qualifying Exam
- United we stand,
divided we fall..
- Third year = awesome.
- Love of teaching!!!
- Adviser drama.
- Research begins!
- Comprehensive Exam CHECK
- Small, liberal arts college
- Interdisciplinary courses
- Research with undergraduates
First research goal:
Learn all about commutative rings
Second research goal:
Try to generalize a previous result about abelian groups. Think about in the context of modules over commutative rings.
co-maximal means I + J = R
annihilator means what sends it to 0
torsion means something sends it to 0
injective - property of a module