Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Math and Me
Transcript of Math and Me
HOPES & DREAMS
- Attended public school in southeastern Kentucky
Jessica > Epsilon
Mom = Nurse
Dad = Mechanic
Me = Only child!
- Math or English?
Jessica Decides To Go To Grad School
- Computer Science,
- Linear Algebra hooked me
- Abstract Algebra WHOA.
- First two years = struggle
- Pretty bored
- Loved math and reading in 4th grade. Fractions WHOA.
- Favorite high school classes: English, Geometry, Anatomy
- Wanted to be a writer or lawyer
- Jessica fails a math test #1: AP Calculus
- SPWM 2009
- Mom: "Scam!"
- Dad: "Graduation school?"
- Conclusion: Iowa
- Talked to professors
-Jessica fails a math test #2:
GRE Math Subject Exam
- Desire to learn all the things.
- Feelings of inadequacy.
- Friends are important!!!
- Jessica fails a math test #3:
Analysis Qualifying Exam
- United we stand,
divided we fall..
- Third year = awesome.
- Love of teaching!!!
- Adviser drama.
- Research begins!
- Comprehensive Exam CHECK
- Small, liberal arts college
- Interdisciplinary courses
- Research with undergraduates
First research goal:
Learn all about commutative rings
Second research goal:
Try to generalize a previous result about abelian groups. Think about in the context of modules over commutative rings.
co-maximal means I + J = R
annihilator means what sends it to 0
torsion means something sends it to 0
injective - property of a module