Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Babylonian Creation Myth
Transcript of The Babylonian Creation Myth
Also known as Enuma Elish Creation Myth -Apsu plans on killing Ea but the clever Ea over hears them
and plans on killing him
-He makes and recites a magic spell that puts Apsu to sleep
-Ea and his wife Damkina give birth to the god Marduk
-When Tiamat heard that her husband was killed
She became infuriated & gives birth to many monsters who will
be useful in defeating Marduk (Some monsters are: giant snakes
with venom in their veins instead of blood, terrible dragons,
"a lahmu-hero/an ugallu-demon/ a rabid dog,
and a scorpion-man, Aggressive umu-demons, a fish-man,
and a bull-man) -Tiamat places a god named Kingu as the head of
the army ( becomes her 2nd husband)-Ea tries to
stop her but fails in doing so-He then sends Anu
to stop her but fails as well-Ea then asks his son
Marduk to stop her and he agrees but in one
condition; once he defeats her he will become king
-The gods put his power to a test which he passes http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/enuma.html
· They had specific festivals for each god they believed in
· They believed if they pleased the gods, everything would go well
· Marduk was represented as a dragon, and his festival was New Years
· They had a temple of Marduk covered in gold
· Babylonians were also good engineers
· Their irrigation system them grow extra grain and other crops
· They traded their crops for copper, gold, and wood
· They used their traded materials to make weapons and jewelry Babylonian Culture -Tiamat(salt waters) and Apsu(sweet waters) mingled together at the mouths of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers
-After the waters of Apsu and Tiamat mix, the gods Lahmu and Lahamu ("slime, mud") emerged
-From them both Anshar ("whole sky") & Kishar ("whole earth")
-They gave birth to Anu, the sky god Anu then brings out Ea Marduk challenged Tiamat ; she lost her temper and accepted her challenge
-Marduk encircles Tiamat with his net, blows her up with his winds, and shoots "an arrow which pierced her belly, Splits her down the middle and slits her heart"
-With her half tore corpse he creates the land and sky; with blood
-He proceeded to create the universe
-Ea takes Kingu, cuts his arteries, and makes mankind from his blood
-In the end Marduk becomes the sun -Babylon was the capital of Babylonia
-Suemerians and Akkadians lived before the Baby,
Orians established themselves there
-They lived in Mesopotamia between the Tigris and Euphrates river
-Babylon was established as a city around the 23rd
Babylonians believed in powerful immortal gods.
They each ruled a certain aspect of the
cosmos, such as the earths, heavens, seas, mountains,and
river. Each Babylonian had a personal god to whom they
pray to. Religion was an important aspect of life.
People would make food sacrifices to the gods.
Each god would have a large temple in which he or she be
worshiped. Religion http://curiousstoryofourworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/sotw1-chapter-17-babylon-takes-over.html http://www.livius.org/a/1/mesopotamia/hammurabi_codex.jpg http://journeyingtothegoddess.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/goddess-tiamat/ http://www.stenudd.com/myth/enumaelish/enumaelish-4.htm forums.catholic.com http://www.goddessaday.com/mesopotamian/lahamu http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/images/mlw_0001_0003_0_img0126.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zZnrFy0k5ao/TIVQ63wWVII/AAAAAAAAA8k/jkI6MQZ2VKg/s1600/TiamatAndMarduk1ab.jpg