Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The World of the South
Transcript of The World of the South
(at least 20 slaves)
(50 or more slaves)
one or two slaves
worked with slaves
Enslaved African Americans
Life Without Freedom
Resistance Against Slavery
African American Southerners
Cotton Kingdom in the South
Other Products of the South
Loan = Land
The Industrial Revolution
...an increase in cotton
Removing the seeds
The Cotton Gin
One worker + cotton gin = 50 workers
In 1792 planters grew only 6,000 bales / year
By 1850 = over 2 million bales / year
Demand for cotton caused another problem.
Planters began to move west.
The soil wore out to grow cotton.
The Cotton Kingdom
A Cruel Cycle
more land = more slaves
Cotton still had to be planted and picked by hand.
produce machinery, equipment, tools, cannons
Planters invested in land and slaves NOT factories.
Demand for southern goods was low.
Bought Northern Products
Slave could not buy anything.