Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Groupon Digital marketing
Transcript of Groupon Digital marketing
• Launched in November 2008 with its first market based in Chicago soon followed by Boston, New York City and Toronto.
•By October 2010 Groupon had 150 markets in North America and 100 markets in Europe, Asia and South America and had 35 million registered users Digital Marketing Strategies
1. Social media marketing
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
3. E-Mail Marketing
4. Pay per click (PPC) • Process of gaining website traffic or attention through social media sites.
• Social media marketing is an effort to create content which attracts attention and encourages readers to share with their social network.
• The message spreads from user to user and resonates because it appears to come from a trusted, third party source, as opposed to the brand or company itself.
• Social media has become a platform that is easily accessible to anyone with internet access.
• Social media serves as a relatively inexpensive platform for organizations to implement marketing campaigns. •Social media marketing is the process of gaining website traffic or attention through social media sites.
•Social media marketing is an effort to create content which attracts attention and encourages readers to share with their social network.
•The message spreads from user to user and resonates because it appears to come from a trusted, third party source, as opposed to the brand or company itself.
•Social media has become a platform that is easily accessible to anyone with internet access. • Groupons facebook presence is prevalent with 651,487 and 8,150 people “talking about this”.
• Groupon’s facebook is predominantly generalized as it cannot announce deals or coupons for specific areas as it has a global audience.
• It does however give details of great deals they have given away and highlight the work they do in other fields, i.e. charity or grassroots schemes.
• The primary strategy for groupon of using Facebook as a marketing tool is allowing consumers who have taken advantage of deals, to repost these to their own page, which, as explained earlier, resonates because it appears to come from a trusted, third party source, as opposed to the brand or company itself.
• Groupon’s Twitter has 77,421 followers and is very active in the” twitosphere” with 8,346 tweets, however as regards its strategy has the same fundamentals as Facebook
• Groupon also has a presence on Instagram, posting pictures of deals and coupons and has several blogs including “Groupon Blog- Beyond the deals” SEO ( Search Engine Optimisation) Groupon’s Seo strategy:
• As Groupon SEO manager, Jill Kocher, shows seo is extremely important to groupon’s digital strategy;
"Natural search (SEO) is my love. In an industry full of theory & gray areas, I strive to find concrete, relevant data. Decisions without data are stabs in the dark. Inaction kills progress, especially in online marketing."
• Groupon need to attract an online audience, it is fundamental to their success, seo allows groupon to attract consumers who may have simply been looking for deals or coupons and not specifically groupon, to their site.
• Groupon try ensuring that their site will be to the fore on search engines for keywords such as; deals, coupons, city rates and numerous others. • Email marketing is the direct marketing of a message or promoting of products to a group of people using email. It can include viral email campaigns to weekly eBlasts, to once off specially tailored emails.
• It is a way to reach thousands of potential customers directly at a relatively low cost when compared to advertising or other forms of media exposure
• Even though a lot of emails sent out for marketing purposes are never read and simply seen as spam by customers who in turn send this to their junk folder, there are however a lot of customers who look forward to receiving these marketing emails.
• It is therefore vital for a company to undertake the required research, find out what the customers want and send them emails with worthwhile content.
• Ideally, the email should bring your business’ message through an attractive mix of graphics, text and links directly to people • While other methods of digital strategy may be important in attracting and retaining consumers, email marketing is the primary method of highlighting or marketing the deals and coupons which they have at any specific time.
• Once a consumer is signed up they receive emails everyday outlining Groupon’s deals and promotions.
• The constant barrage of emails received can be off-putting and annoying for some consumers, it does however constantly highlight deals to consumers in their local area.
• This link between a promotions location and the consumers location allows Groupon to market their promotions to the most susceptible consumers easily. Groupons Email Marketing Strategy: • Pay per click or PPC, is a form of internet marketing that is used to direct online traffic to a website. Every time their ad is clicked, the company pays the advertiser an agreed upon fee for each click.
• The most common place where PPC is advertised are Search engines, such as Google or Yahoo.
• Customers who are directed to a website by PPC, already know what they are looking for and don’t need to spend too much time searching the web.
• PPC ads then transfer these customers to the website the directly where they purchase their required products or services.
• PPC is useful for companies looking for another digital marketing strategy to continue to build their business. If your first strategy is already working, PPC can open up your company to additional leads but it is expensive.
• PPC marketing provides instant results because it generates visitors quickly and also lets you measure your budget and ROI appropriately. • Groupon implemented a pay per click strategy to further their online consumer attraction.
• The extra cost of PPC seemed to be outweighed by the benefits of having the company and its products just a click away from the main websites.
• PPC is groupon’s way of expanding both their digital strategy and consumer base Overview of economic situation
Housing Values DOWN
Equity Markets DOWN
Currency Valuation ???
National Debt UP The Post Crisis Consumer is
Cautious Connected Online The new post crisis consumer is moving from mindless to mindful consumption The post crisis consumer is unsure of the future. Through increased caution, their disposable budget is naturally reduced. This is how Groupon have been able to attract customers: offering disposable goods and services and reduced prices to match their new lowered budgets. Trend 1: Cautious Groupon understand how we are now living in a fully socially connected environment. They allow this shift in consumer behaviour to drive there digital marketing campaign. The majority of groupons digital marketing strategy takes place through social media sites. Trend 2: Connected Trend 3:Discretionary Thrift The post crisis consumer feels empowered by showing discretionary thrift. Groupon have used this to there advantage in their digital marketing campaign. They allow their presence to grow naturally through the fact that consumers WILL share the deals they got via social networks Trend 4: Online
People are spending more and more time online. Traditional ‘window shopping’ is dying out, and virtual shopping is on the up. This is why Groupon have decided to sell their goods and services all online, and almost all off their marketing takes places through the internet. Trend 5: Month by month living By understanding the post crisis consumer Groupon have created a digital marketing strategy that works. They know that consumers are cautious, connected, and online, and have developed a tailor made system that generates maximum exposure in this current environment.
Crisis = Opportunity Recommendations Groupon must ensure it continues to exploit the online digital market They must ensure to continue to invest heavily on this campaign as the returns are unquestionable Groupon must continue to examine new innovative ways of exploiting the potential of social media Tools such as options to tweet or share on FB offer great ways of both pleasing customers and attracting new ones Research tools such as questionnaires and focus groups offer great ways of further understanding the mindset of the consumer and their ever changing habits This will allow them to develop clever strategies such as charging more for items at the start of the month than at the end Conclusions Consumers have become far more value orientated in recent years The days of heavy spending on premium goods has been replaced by a value or "bargain" orientated mindset Across the spectrum of shopping discount based outlets have performed extremely well in recession times Social media's popularity means that consumers are willing to share more information about themselves Company's must ensure they have the tools in place to take advantage of this THANK YOU!