Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Galaxies
2. What happens when galaxies collide?
3. What is the name of our galaxy and what type is it?
4. How do galaxies form?
5. What will happen when Milky Way and Andromeda collide (be specific)? Close Galaxies
- Even more recently the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy was discovered to be 25,000 light years away - One of the ways it was believed to form, was "Big Bang" A Brief Introduction of Galaxies In this adventure, you will learn all about the wonders of the many galaxies in the Universe.
For example, how many are there? What types? How many stars? - Collisions occur often Galaxy Collisions - Though they "collide" the stars almost never collide due to a lot of space between stars OUR GALAXY - The Milky Way is about 13.2 Billion years old - There are about 200-400 billion stars in the milky way -The name Milky Way refers to the milky patch of sky which rings the Earth Our Galaxy is called the Milky Way Types of Galaxies - 1994 the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy was discovered at 80,000 light-years away from Earth, the closest at the time - Even MORE recent, The Andromeda Galaxy was found to be the closest spiral galaxy The Milky Way is about 900 million light years across -There are more stars in the sky than grains of sand earth Stars Galaxy types:
-Spiral Galaxy size - Most galaxies in the Milky Way area are at least ten times smaller in diameter - Most of the galaxies in the universe are smaller than the Milky Way - They're also 3000 light years thick - Most of the stars are in a disk that is about 100,000 light years across in diameter - The Milky Way big galaxy Galaxy Formations - Galaxies take billions of years to
form - Stars can range from about 10 million to 100 TRILLION!
(predicted by the galaxies we know of) - The biggest galaxy we know of is the Abell 2029 galaxy When the Milky Way collides with Andromeda, it will make a huge galaxy - The Milky Way is currently colliding with Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy - The Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy and form one huge elliptical galaxy Join us on our journey... Spiral Galaxy Elliptical Galaxy Regular Galaxy Whirlpool Galaxy Irregular galaxies Answers... 1. Spiral, Elliptical, Regular, Whirlpool
2. Usually nothing, but gravity could change the formation of the galaxies
3. The Milky Way is our galaxy and it is a large spiral galaxy
4. The hierarchical formation (small galaxies combining)
5. There will be a long gravitational "dance" and in the end, they will combine one huge elliptical galaxy - One way to think of it is as small rivers combining to make a large lake - Galaxies are made by a process called hierarchical formation, in which smaller galaxies merge with other galaxies. The appendage-like shape that extends from the center of a galaxy is called an arm.