Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Big Data Analytics
Transcript of Big Data Analytics
this information for their own capital gain.
Selling the information
Big Data Analytics
Big data Analytics
is the process of examining large and complex data set, both structured and unstructured, to uncover hidden patterns, unknown correlations and other useful information
Data Collection Sources
government data holdings
company market lead databases
public profiles on social networking sites
web server logs
Internet clickstream data
Businesses and organizations use various analytical techniques:
to study both structured and unstructured forms of data that can aid
product and process discovery
One major challenge is preserving individual privacy and ownership.
Many big data applications will have unintended and unpredictable results as the data scientist seeks to reveal new trends and patterns that were previously hidden.
This example shows how big data technology is unlawfully monitoring and invading the privacy of others.
America, feel like they are entitled to their own information and privacy
Every company is clearly trying to find ways to gain advantage over competitors.
1. Boyd, D., & Crawford, K. (2012). CRITICAL QUESTIONS FOR BIG
DATA.Information, Communication & Society, 15(5), 662-679. doi:10.1080/1369118X.2012.678878
2. Michael, K., & Miller, K. W. (2013). Big Data: New Opportunities and New
Challenges.IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (Organization), 46(6), 22-24. Retrieved from http://eds.a.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.umuc.edu/eds/detail?vid=7&sid=4e1d8bb0-f54c-4962-8919-c8c2c77710fe%40sessionmgr4002&hid=4203&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWRzLWxpdmUmc2NvcGU9c2l0ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=88058066
3. Rouse, M. (2012). Big Data Analytics. TechTarget global network of
technology, 6(4), 8-12. Retrieved from http://searchbusinessanalytics.techtarget.com/definition/big-data-analytics
4. Fisher, G. (n.d.). FTC commissioner tells Princeton University about dangers
posed by big data analytics. Retrieved February 21, 2014, from http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2014/02/ftc_commissioner_tells_princeton_university_about_dangers_posed_by_big_data_analytics.html
5. Analytics: The real-world use of big data. (n.d.). Retrieved February 22, 2014,
Why Big Data?
Structural transformation for managing big data
Individual Privacy Rights
Mohammad Sesay, Irene Cudjoe, Zainab Kamara, Gary Lee
Paper C-2 - Individual research on existing or emerging technology and related ethical issues
Topic: Big Data Analytics