Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Peak performance
http://www.khanacademy.com/ Bibliography Peak Performance Hypothesis Materials Drive Gear: The gear attached to the motor. Our question 0ur Science Fair question this year is when going up a hill how does gear ratio affect an automobile’s performance? We believe that if we use a smaller drive gear and a larger driven gear we will be able to get our Lego Mindstorms NXT automobile to go up the hill more effectively . Lego Mindstorms NXT
Different sized gears
60 cm Ramp (wood)
Lego tiers The Experiment 1) Create a robot with interchangeable drive and driven gears.
2) Use a big drive gear to small driven gear
3) Record how much time it took to make it up the 60cm ramp.
4) Use a small drive gear to big driven gear
5) Record how much time it took to travel up the 60cm ramp.
6) Use an equal size drive and driven gear.
7) Record how much time it took to travel up the 60cm ramp.
8) Repeat steps 1-6 times and add an extra level to the tier each time.
9) Record results in a table. Driven Gear: The gear activated by the drive gear attached to the wheel axle. Gear Ratio: The ratio between the rates at which the last and first gears rotate. Torque: Torque is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about its center of mass. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist or a turn to an object. Discussion The reason our experiment got the results that it did was because a lower gear ratio, or one in which there is a smaller drive gear and a larger follower gear produces more torque, which means it will have more power. The reason a lower gear ratio produces more toque is because the driven gear has a greater radius and to determine the amount of torque a vehicle has you must follow the formula =r*F. The robot with a higher gear ratio went faster, which means it had less power, because torque and speed are inversely proportional. When two things are inversely proportional it means that when one of them increases the other decreases. In our experiment we also learned that gear ratio greatly impacts a vehicle’s performance because the robot with a lower gear ratio was able to go up to 7 degrees steeper. If we were to do this topic next year a question we could answer would be “How do Gear Trains play a role in automobiles?”s