Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Energy Harvesting
A new energy device provides enough energy and flexibility for tomorrow’s bendable gadgets.
Credit: American Chemical Society
Muhammad Awais Akhtar
We: Energy hungry organism
Energy Cycle: Generic
Overview of Methods and Applications
Recent in news related to Energy
1) Cell Energy and Cell Functions [http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/cell-energy-and-cell-functions-14024533]
3) Energy Scavenging for
Mobile & Wireless
4) Energy Harvesting From Human and Machine Motion for Wireless Electronic Devices
5) Wireless devices go battery free: http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/08/13/wireless-devices-go-battery-free-with-new-communication-technique/
6) Introdution to Vibration Energy Harvesting: http://www.nipslab.org/files/Cottone%20-%20Introduction%20to%20Vibration%20Energy%20Harvesting.pdf
7) Flexible Three-Dimensional Nanoporous Metal-Based Energy Devices: Journal of American Chemical Society
We know: Energy is Important
Improvement in Computing Technology
How cells get Energy?
Cells, like us, cannot generate energy without locating a source in their environment.
We seek substances like fossil fuels for power, cells seek their energy in form of food molecules or sunlight.
Sugar, fats, protein
Readily Available Energy Molecule [mostly ATP]
Energy in Reserve: fats, lipids
Animal cells: fats/glycogen
Plant cells: starch
What we have from that
or we can say
History of energy harvesting dates back to windmill and waterwheel.
Driving force now:
-to power sensor networks and mobile devices without batteries
- climate change and global warming
Overview: Methods and Applications
Micro Wind Turbine
A device that accumulates electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress.
Discovered in 1880 by French physicists Jacques and Peirre Curie.
First Piezoelectric application was Sonar , developed during WWI.
how does PeizoElectric devices works?
In general, if you deform a piezo crystal by applying a force, you will get charge separation.
TRee based Harvesting
conversion of temperature differences directly into electricity
presence of heating or cooling at an electrified junction of two different conductors
Tree metabolic energy harvesting is a type of bio-energy harvesting.
Voltree has developed a method for harvesting energy from trees.
These energy harvesters are being used to power remote sensors to monitor forest fires and weather in the forest.
Micro WIND Energy Turbines
Peltier tiles are used in cooling unit of laptops and pcs.
Recent in news
MEta-Material Based Devices
A metamaterial-based device wirelessly converts a 900 MHz microwave signal to 7.3 volts of direct current (greater than that of a USB device).
The device can be tuned to harvest other signals including Wi-Fi signals, satellite signals, or even sound signals.
Small Scale Energy Harvesting
Researcher demonstrate how one payment card can transfer funds to another card by leveraging the existing wireless signals[both the power source and the communication medium]
12mm diameter axial-flow turbine integrated with an axial-flux electromagnetic
1 mW could be delivered at a volume flow of
Copyright by Seiko Instruments
device can generate about five watts of constant electricity
Piezoelectric Devices (History)
8.3 mW at the heel & 1.3 mW at the toes during a standard walk
Energy storage, ID encoder and a 300 Mhz radio transmitter.
An average human walking up a mountain expends around 200 Watts of power.
Knee-Joint Energy Harvester
GrAphene Wont let us down
Flowing a drop of salt water over graphene generates electricity
could provide the basis of small-scale hydroelectric generators
video in end
May 27, 2014