Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SMS Language
SMS = short message service
Texting or text messaging = writing and sending a brief/short message to (an)other mobile phone(s)
SMS language: written language used with texting (abbreviations and slang)
II - Structure of the language
non-standard orthographic forms
- shortenings, contractions, clippings:
"sat", "def" ; "tmrw", "wkend" ; "turnin", "hav".
- acronyms, initialisms: "DI" ; "ASAP"
- homophones (numbers/letters): B, U, R, 2, 4, gr8
- misspellings, typos, unconventional spellings: "nite"
- accent stylisation: "da/de", "dat", "wassup".
"non-verbal" communication: !! ?? :-) :-O
Can you guess the non-standard forms that have been used?
- Radnedge, A. (2011) http://metro.co.uk/2011/08/16/stripped-down-text-speak-is-over-120-years-old-research-reveals-116349/ [accessed 22/02/2014]
- DAOL (Discourse Analysis Online), Sheffield University, http://extra.shu.ac.uk/daol/articles/v1/n1/a3/table1.pdf [accessed 24/02/2014] and http://extra.shu.ac.uk/daol/articles/v1/n1/a3/thurlow2002003.html
- Cambridge dictionary
SMS language evolved with the technology progress
Its main characteristics are: abbreviations, reductions, accronyms and symbols
Is a good way to save space,time and money
Daily used by everyone (but mostly youngsters)
- Min pen
- How r u ts mng?
- I’m pty wl, hw r u?
- I’m nt flg vy wl, fraid I’ve gt t mlaria
I - History of SMS Language
1st text message: 3rd december1992
limit of 160 characters /message
Spread with the mobile phones and commercial sms
Main characteristics: Use of abbreviations, acronyms , symbols and numbers (lol, btw...)
Aim: saving space,money and time
- R U goin 2 Uni tmrw?
- wassup hun! watcha wanna do tonite?
- wiv'ya? nethin
('next' to hear the answers)