Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Facebook: It's About the Money
Transcript of Facebook: It's About the Money
Food for Thought
- What ethical dilemma does Facebook face?
- What are the weakness of Facebook's privacy policies and features?
- Do you think Facebook can have a successful business model without invading user's privacy?
History of Facebook
- Launched in February 2004, created by Mark Zuckerberg
- It originated from Facemash which was set up as a type of "hot or not" game for Harvard students.
- I'm a little intoxicated, not gonna lie. So what if it's not even 3 pm and it's a Tuesday afternoon? What? The Kirkland dormitory facebook is open on my desktop and some of these people have pretty horrendous facebook pics. I almost want to put some of these faces next to pictures of some farm animals and have people vote on which is more attractive. -Mark Zuckerberg
- September 2006 it gradually expanded to anyone over the age of 13 that had a valid e-mail address
- By August 26, 2008 Facebook had acquired 100 million users
- In February 2011 Facebook had become the largest online photo host
- Over 350 million users access Facebook through their mobile phones
- On March 12, 2012 Yahoo filed a suit and US federal court case against Facebook.
- Facebook went public with their stock on May 18th 2012
- As of March 2013 Facebook has grown to 1,110 million users
Allows you to upload your pictures privately to Facebook
Sounds great right?
The problem with this is Facebook has access to all of your pictures
Issues in the past...
How will Facebook use these photos?
Through the use of the photo syncing Facebook is ultimate goal is to become a storage hub. They have added a file sharing feature to its group product. As well as drop box integration
Facebook’s new feature the photo syncing is its first tip toe into cloud storage.
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST!
- Facebook’s revenue comes almost entirely from advertising
- Advertisers are now taking full advantage of Facebook’s access of their user’s personal information
- In 2011, Facebook made $3.2 billion in advertising revenue
-The goal of Facebook is to assist advertisers in sharing their ads that are more relevant to you
- A long-term goal for the company is for the world to be more open and connected
- The amount of personal data that Facebook possess exceeds their current protection and privacy controls.
- Facebook has been accused of deceiving users by telling them their information on Facebook was private, then allowing it to be shared and made public.
- Without Facebook’s use of its consumer’s information, they would not have their successful business model
- Our question for you is whether or not you think Facebook should be responsible for the personal data of hundreds of millions of people...?