Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Smart Epilepsy Prediction and Life Saver System
Transcript of Smart Epilepsy Prediction and Life Saver System
What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy can be a fatal condition caused by an imbalance in the nervous system.
The common symptoms of epilepsy include sudden fluctuation in heart rate and involuntary movements (seizures).
• PIN 0-Rx
• PIN 1-Tx
• PINS 3,5,6,8,9,10,11,13- DIGITAL I/O (PWM(~))
• PIN 14- I/O REF
• PIN 15- RESET
• PIN 16- 3.3 V
• PIN 17- 5 V
• PINS 18,19- GND
• PIN 20- V IN
• PINS 22,23,24,25,26,27- ANALOG I/O
1. Port configuration of all devices that are to be interfaced with the Arduino Uno, i.e., the accelerometer, heartbeat sensor and GSM device.
2. The system is set up by initializing GSM parameters, i.e., baud rate, pin modes and write operations.
3. Initialization of accelerometer pins at the resting position, taken as Xi, Yi and Zi.
4. Observing the heartbeat sensor reading. Beats Per Minute (BPM) heartbeat rate is checked with upper and lower threshold values, 60 and 120 respectively, to confirm abnormalities in the heartbeat rate.
7. At the end of the loop, if the values read are still greater than threshold, the GSM sends the message to the defined phone number, informing the receiver of a seizure attack.
8. If the heartbeat readings are normal and within the threshold limits, the system keeps sensing heartbeat continuously until the device is turned off.
AARUSHI MANOCHA 1PE11EC002
DEEPAK S 1PE10EC026
KRISHNA B M 1PE12EC407
NAVEENAGOUDA PATIL 1PE12EC412
Smart Epilepsy Prediction and Life Saver System
UNDER THE GUIDANCE OF
Mrs. Rashmi R. Deshpande
(Assistant Professor, ECE)
Purpose of the Project
The main aim is to design and develop a wireless electronic diagnosing life-saver system for Epilepsy patients.
The system should help in accurately predicting the occurrence of seizures.
As soon as the device detects the symptoms, it should transmit a coded signal. The signal must be decoded by a wireless receiver to produce control signals to trigger an alarm device and a mobile messaging device.
1. Heartbeat Sensor- MMP HBS001
2. Accelerometer- Three Axis Accelerometer
3. Processor- Arduino Uno
4. Communication device- GSM Shield SIM900
5. Once this abnormality is detected, the buzzer beeps. The buzzer is used to alert the epileptic patient of an upcoming seizure attack.
6. After the buzzer beeps, a loop is setup to check for accelerometer readings. The current accelerometer readings are measured as Xf, Yf and Zf, and compared with the original values Xi, Yi and Zi. If the difference between the new and initial values is higher than a certain threshold, the above process is repeated thrice.
The final product can be manufactured at reasonable cost in the form of a belt or wrist band, which can easily be worn by a person. The buzzer will buzz a few seconds in advance of an epileptic attack or seizure, which will help in warning them of the upcoming attack. Hence, the patient can stop his or her activity and move to a safe place to be ready for the seizure. Once the seizure begins, the jerking movements are picked up by the device and an attack is confirmed.
If the patient does not experience any attack, they may reset the device so that false message is not sent to the concerned person.
Working of Heart Beat Sensor
• Sensor works on Infrared signal. It contains IR transmitter and Receiver.
• Finger is sensed by the sensor placed between the Transmitter and Receiver.
• In the absence of finger, receiver receives the IR signal and output of sensor is high (10V).
• Whenever a pulse is detected, output of sensor becomes 0V.
• The number of interrupts generated in 1 minute is the heart beat rate.
Working of Accelerometer
This sensor works on 12v.
It gives Digital high (5V) output whenever vibration is detected.
Vibration velocity sensors operate in accordance with the electrodynamics principle and are used for measuring the absolute vibration based on the piezoelectric effect.
They change their resistance due to the force acting on it and convert it into 4 - 20 mA.
The piezoelectric sensor detects the vibration created on the surface.
The device may be attached to a paralytic patient, or to a person in coma to monitor any signs of improvement with the help of movement (accelerometer) detection. It can also be used in physiotherapy.
The project can also include a GPS system to track the location of the patient. This would help a doctor reach the patient to help him immediately after the attack.
It is also possible to include automatic vehicle control system. This can be useful when an epileptic person is driving a car. If the patient is about to get a seizure attack, the device can communicate with the car control mechanism so that the seizure does not lead to the patient’s death.