Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Close Reading of Texts
Transcript of Close Reading of Texts
What is Close Reading?
"Close reading describes, in literary criticism, the careful, sustained interpretation of a brief passage of text. Such a reading places great emphasis on the particular over the general, paying close attention to individual words, syntax, and the order in which sentences and ideas unfold as they are read."
Narrative (Author Stance)
What We Emphasize with
Read once for general understanding
Re-read text for specific understanding
Mark up the text with "code"
Focus on specific questions of inquiry
Close Reading Strategies
Narrative (Author's Stance)
Who is telling the story or writing the article?
How are they telling the story or information?
What format is the story or article in?
The order in which words appear
Style of writing (format, informal, etc.)
Historical context of document, information, story
C lose Reading in Action
Defining it Further
Why re-read a text?
* First read: Determine what the text says
* Second read: Determine how the text works
* Third read: Evaluate quality of content and make connections
-- Tim Shanahan