Transcript of Monroeville, Alabama
Was once called Burnt Corn Springs because of the conflict between England, Spain, and Native Americans. About the name of the city... Named Centerville because it was located in the center of the county. It then became to be called Monroeville after James Monroe on April 15th, 1899. Some interesting facts... Monroeville is the literary capital of Alabama and received this designation in 1997. It has a history of producing famous writers, like Harper Lee. Monroeville hosted a huge hog festival, the event drew more than 10,000 visitors at a time when the town's population was just over 1,000 in November 1939! In 1991, the Monroe County Heritage Museum began operating. Today the museum consists of six locations: The Old Monroe County Courthouse, Rikard's Mill Historical Park, and the River Heritage Museum. At the beginning of the twenieth century farmers grew cotton and other companies started to look into timber. In the 1920's the first hospital was opened in the home of Maggey Bussey. In 1923, Monroeville got water and electrical power. Sewage service came around 1930, although only the jail and courthouse had plumbing at first. the streets were paved in 1934 and the first traffic lights were installed in 1938. The old city hall was built in 1903. Full transcript
In 1977, the town opened the Georgia-Pacific plant to have merchandising, agriculture, steam shipping, timber, sawmills, turpentine, and later autombile manufacturing. In 1928 the first airport was built, but it wasn't opened until 1937. this airport was used for military training during WWII and wasn't officially established until 1967.