Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Phineas Gage Timeline

No description

Mallory Mifflin

on 9 May 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Phineas Gage Timeline

Phineas Gage Timeline September 13, 1848 On this day in September in Vermont, Phineas Gage had a tamping iron go through his head. He survived this terrible accident. May 21, 1860 Phineas Gage died at his sister's house in San Francisco on May 21, 1860. He most likely died from hypothermia from his seizures. September 28, 1848 It had been two weeks after the accident and Phineas had developed an abscess just above his eyes. He was also very feverish and was sinking fast. He began to heal though. November of 1848 After 10 weeks of recovering, Dr. Harlow declares Phineas is fully recovered. He can now walk, dress, clean, and feed himself, but Dr. Harlow notes that somethings are not right about him. Spring of 1849 Phineas comes back to Cavendish to continue with his old job and to have a checkup with Dr. Harlow. Phineas's vision in he left eye is fading and his personality has drastically changed. Phineas doesn't go anywhere without his tamping iron. Winter of 1850 Dr. Harlow and Dr. Bigelow make arrangements for Phineas to go to Boston. Phineas and his case would be presented in front of the Boston Society of Medical Improvement. They make a plaster model of Phineas's head. Later in 1850 After Phineas left Boston, he traveled from city to city. He ended up in New York City being one of the "performers" in P. T. Barnum's American Museum on Broadway. He was "The Only Living Man With a Hole in His Head"; he was basically in a freak show. Early 1851 Phineas returns home in 1951 to work for Jonathan Currier in his livery stable in Hanover. Phineas works well with horses. August of 1852 In 1852, Phineas leaves New England to start his new life in Chile as a stagecoach driver. They needed someone who worked well with horses like Phineas. Phineas brings his tamping iron with him. July 1859 Phineas shows up at his family's home in San Francisco. He is feeling very sick. He claims he is just sick from the voyage from Chile. 1860 Phineas starts to experience epileptic seizures. They get increasingly more severe. Sources Fleischman, John. Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story about Brain Science. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2002. Print.
Full transcript