Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Sugar house prison
Transcript of Sugar house prison
The site for the prison was selected in 1853, and in 1854 an adobe brick prison was constructed. Improvements and new construction followed over the years, but by the 1940's the prison had outlived its usefulness. On March 12, 1951, the inmates were moved to a new prison at the Point of the Mountain
the Sugar House was established in 1853, six years after Brigham Young led the Latter-Day Saint settlers into the valley. Its name derives from the sugar beet test factory of the Deseret Manufacturing Company, which was established in a former blacksmith shop in the areawith the assistance of Jersey-born convert Philip DeLaMare. The name came as a suggestion from Margaret McMeans Smoot, the wife of then mayor of Salt Lake City, Abraham O. Smoot.
Sugar House Prison, the first Utah state prison, was located in Sugar House during the 19th century and early 20th century. The prison was closed in 1951 and moved to Draper. All of the buildings were torn down and the land was converted into Sugar House Park and Highland High School.In 1928, at the dedication ceremony of the Sprague Library, Mayor John F. Bowman suggested Sugar House from then on be referred to as "South East Salt Lake City." This suggestion was rejected.
Revolving Granite Furniture sign, Sugar House
In the early 20Th century, the corner of 1100 East and 2100 South was known as "furniture row" because three furniture stores were located there. Two have closed and one, Sterling Furniture, remains. Rock wood Furniture closed its doors in 1999 and Granite Furniture closed its Sugar House location in 2004, after more than 80 years of operation. (Granite Furniture still has a West Jordan store at 1475 West 9000 South.)
In 1990, the Sugar House Center shopping center was completed. This brought large national chains to the area for the first time. In 1998 The Commons, a shopping center located just east of the town center ("Granite Block") and adjacent to the "Sugar House Center", was constructed in response to low patronage and has since been the target of both praise and criticism.
The sugar house prison is a rehabilitation and incarceration system prison
prison housed more than 400 inmates. It was closed in 1951 due to encroaching housing development, and all of its inmates were moved to the new Utah State Prison in Draper
Economic impact /hazards to community
Between 1864 and 1871, due to insufficient funds, the prison did not even employ a night guard. Consequently, many prisoners escaped. Between 1855 and 1878, 47 of the 240 convicts escaped, an additional 12 were killed in escape attempts
Starting in 1900, executions by the state were carried out in the prison. Prior to that, death penalties were administered in the counties where the crimes had been committed. Tickets were distributed in 1903 for admission to publicly view an execution by firing squad
the dangerous prisoners were killed when they got to prison so there wasn't any real danger to the community
Internal changes /hazards to humans
Sugar house prison
also known as The Utah territorial penitentary
Sugar House prison is 20 miles form south west Salt lake City .
the site where it used to be is now occupied by sugar house park and highland high school.This is significnt to the community because Sugar House is home to two shopping centers that collectively feature various retailers such as Shopko, Toys "R" Us, bookseller Barnes & Noble, clothing retailer Old Navy, Whole Foods Market, Bed Bath & Beyond, Petco, several fast food and family restaurants, and a 10-screen Cinemark discount cinema. A strip mall is located on the corner of 2100 South and 700 East. The corner of 2100 South and 1300 East features three low-rise office buildings. Between the shopping center and 2100 South is a small park named Hidden Hollow Natural Area, created in 2001 as a development project to beautify the city in preparation for the 2002 Winter Olympics. It was rehabilitated based on the initiative of school children. Sugar House Park is a park located between I-80, 2100 South, 1300 East, and 1700 East. The park is host to a large celebration with fireworks each July 4.
The sugar house prison is located in Salt lake city ,Utah ,United states
Sugar House is located within the Salt Lake City grid system. According to the Community Council, it runs from 700 East to Foothill Drive and north to south from 1300 South to the city limits about 3000 South. According to Salt Lake City’s master plan, it runs from 700 East to Parleys Way and 2000 East and from 1700 South to the city limits about 3000 South. Many local businesses as well as private residences, although not strictly located within the bounds of Sugar House, use the name because of the area's name recognition. The business and commercial center of the neighborhood is located at 1100 East 2100 South which is also the northern end terminus of Highland Drive.
In the past, the Sugar House community council had mostly shunned big-box stores, and a cluster of curbside businesses existed along the intersection of 2100 South and Highland Drive/1100 East, including independent clothing and shoe stores, music shops, artist studios, public art galleries, two coffee shops, a head shop called Wizards & Dreams, and an adult interest store called Blue Boutique. However, recent redevelopment of the Granite Block have forced many of these stores to either relocate or close. Zoning changes have created concerns that the new development will be less friendly to local businesses.
This is a picture of the Sugar Factory after which Sugar House was named. The factory started operating in 1855 and was located on the southeast corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive (1100 East). The odd thing is that the factory never produced a grain of sugar, maybe because of lost or damaged sugar producing machinery parts during their delivery from the east by ox drawn wagons in 1852. It was later turned into a paper factory but the name of the area, Sugar House, stuck I guess because that name sounded better than Paper House
The new Utah State Penitentiary - Sugar House in 1903. The inmates were transferred to the new Point of the Mountain Prison in 1951.
Wardens Daniel Carn, Alexander McRae, J.A. Little, Albert P. Rockwood, and Frederick Kesler
The facilities were insufficient for the inmate population that would mushroom with the confinement of the Mormons.Until the overcrowding forced the marshal to construct a three-tiered iron cell , the prisoners were housed in wood bunkhouses .At the peak of overpopulation in 1888,officials built three bunkhouses of two-by-sixes laid flat and spiked together for walls,floor and ceiling .These provided an excellent breeding ground for bed bugs ,a common salt lake pest in the best households .Three-tier-high bunks,sleeping in two in each surrounded a small heating stove and an impossibly tiny center lounging area .Partitioned off in one corner was a wooden box and water barrel cut in two ,called the "dunning" ,which did duty for the men during the night. A few barred windows and venting shafts in the roof relieved the stuffiness
Special residences within the yard were a hospital, solitary confinement facility, insane asylum cages, and two solitary "sweat boxes" used for extreme punishment. The other major structures adjoining each other were a bathroom, wash house, and dining hall. The dining hall was rather breezily constructed, but as only fifteen minutes was allotted for eating, the caretakers did not feel the need for building anything too fancy. Several large tables ranged down the center of the room and a rough deal board nailed to the wall ringed the perimeter of the room. A hundred at a sitting were accommodated in the spartan surroundings.
George Q. Cannon, early Mormon leader who was given a six-month sentence in September 1888 for "unlawful cohabitation" under the Edmund's Act.
John Deering, convicted murderer who was executed by firing squad in 1938 while hooked up to an electrocardiogram.
Joe Hill, convicted of murdering storekeeper John A. Morrison on circumstantial evidence; executed in 1915 at the prison despite attempts at intervention by President Woodrow Wilson.
i would rank the guards as high hazards because they had a firing squad that killed the prisoners
i would rank the prisoners as a medium because the dangerous inmates were killed when they got to prison all the other prisoners were in jail for little things