Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Solar Nebula Theory
Transcript of The Solar Nebula Theory
It is believed that the sun, planets, moons, and asteroids were formed around the same time around 5 billion years ago from a nebula.
Nebula: A cloud of gas and dust in outer space.
What is the Solar Nebula Theory?
Inside of the giant nebula clumps of gases came together to form protostars.
Protostars are an area of material that hasn't yet formed into a fully fledged star.
As the protostar contracted, the pressure and temperature in its core increased. It spun faster and got hotter, until it was hot enough for nuclear fusion to begin. This caused it to form a disc of gas and dust around the core of the protostar.
The sun was formed in the center of the disc. Astronomers estimate that the sun took 30 million years to become a newborn star. While it was forming lighter gases (hydrogen and helium) were pushed away and gathered together in the outer solar system, forming the giant gas planets. The denser clumps of matter remained in the inner solar system and formed the terrestrial planets.
The sun's formation
Planets began to form when, particles stuck together with electrostatic attraction. Bigger clumps attracted more particles with gravity. Gravity pulled the particles into a sphere shape. When the particle clumps grew big enough they were called planets. Planetesimals, which were early planets, began to grow in size from the clumps of matter and slam into each other as they revolved around the early forming sun.
The Planets Formation
It's believed that our solar system
began to form 5 billion years ago
, 9 billion years after the big bang.
The Big Bang Theory explains the
of this universe.
The Nebular Hypothesis is an explanation for the
of solar systems.
When was it formed?
1. All the planets orbit the Sun in the same direction. Most of their moons also orbit in that direction. This would be expected if they all formed from a disk of debris around the proto-Sun.
2. The planets also have the right characteristics to have formed from a disk of mainly hydrogen around a young, hot Sun.
Evidence for the solar nebula theory:
Science book: chapter 9.5