Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Fonts Have Feelings, Too ...
Transcript of Fonts Have Feelings, Too ...
A kick-in-the-pants guide to getting your message out
Sometimes you have to pay for good (safe) images/fonts.
(You value your work, don't you? The law certainly does.)
• UCSB Photographic Services
• Daily Nexus/LaCumbre Yearbook
The legal stuff ...
• Fair Use
• Public Domain
• Intellectual Property
• Creative Commons
• Who is your audience and how do they communicate?
• How much is in your budget?
• Will the content of your message be changing/updating?
• Do you want to receive feedback? Would you use it?
• Your deadline vs. the Printer's deadline
• Does your department have a policy about social media?
• Is your message fully accessible to all parties?
PRINT vs. ONLINE (including social media!)
GOOD DESIGN IS:
• Accessible by all
• Direct; short & sweet
• Has time/date/place/cost
• Has email/phone/website/links
• If you have a good image, use it!
A bit about inspiration ...
• Get it where you can
• Art, music, walks outside
• Magazines (masculine/androgynous/feminine; informational; slap-you-in-the-face)
MARKET YOUR MESSAGE!
• UCSB research publications
• The Bottom Line
• Daily Nexus
• In-class presentation
• Student/peer advisors
• Promotional schwag
• The Independent
• Santa Barbara News-Press
• Daily Sound
• Montecito Journal
• Montecito Messenger
• Santa Barbara Latino (formerly El Mexicano)
• Santa Barbara Magazine
• Santa Barbara TV/Radio stations
• Social Media sites
• Prioritize the structure of your message
• Use fonts and images that matter
• Promote your multi-platform presence
• Spell check
• Complementary colors (the wheel!)
• Use cool tools (QR codes, location-based) if they add "oomph"!
• Give props to photo/videographers, artists, illustrators
• Sketch it out
• DON'T go crazy with fonts, colors
• DON'T bore your audience with too much copy
• DON'T use images that weren't made for your medium
• Committee-schmommittee; someone make a decision!
• DON'T forget about white space ... let your design breathe
• DON'T leave it up to the designer ... provide a vision your audience will support!
Access these slides any time at
Questions? Comments? Tweet about it: