Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mastery Learning and The Flipped Classroom
Chris Lukeron 16 June 2013
Transcript of Mastery Learning and The Flipped Classroom
Highland High School
Nuts and Bolts
What can you do?
1. Find some of your best teachers and tell them about this idea.
3. Baby steps
4. Encourage creativity, innovation = get out of the way
2. Let them come see a flipped class (you too). Jan. 30
5. Sustainable, long-term professional development
6. Q & A
What Mastery is NOT
Panacea for the woes in education
“I would rather eat my own vomit than take chemistry again”
from the 1960's (Bloom and Keller-1968)
What is Mastery
believes in the principle that learning can be achieved for every student
What does it look like?
PowerPoint- "distracts them with
pretty pictures, irrelevant data, allows
you to create an illusion of confidence
of simplicity; most destructfully,
the illusion of understanding"
John Bohannon, TED talk "Dance your PhD"
youtube, DVD, class website
Moodle is Awesome!
uploading student work
Incorporate Mastery Learning
Standards Based Accountability
something was missing
Passing versus learning
Retention versus regurgitation
emphasizes prior knowledge
doesn't accept normal distribution = normal achievement
re-inventing the role of the teacher
37,800 give or take a few
What can I change
recorded lectures and rigid timeline
semester with timeline and some flexibility in dates
soft timeline with rigid testing dates, labs
Think about the following words:
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
If you are thinking about furry animals and organized labor, keep thinking.
Kelly Deters: Mastery Learning in the Science Classroom
summarizes mastery nicely
Derived from Isaac Asimov
Read Seth Godin or Daniel Pink
how many times a teacher interacts
with students in a career