Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Art Rocks: NAEA 2014
Transcript of Art Rocks: NAEA 2014
1. Using artwork as a cultural connection to increase the depth of understanding in a song or piece of music.
2. Visual representation of concept. How is this artwork like what we are talking about in music?
3. Connecting similar vocabulary. A composer might create texture in his music by adding layers of sound the way an artist uses it in his painting by adding layers of lines, paint, or color.
4. Creating rhythmic or melodic patterns to represent a specific part of a piece of art. How could we make our music like a painting?
1. Playing music in the classroom to connect to a time period or thematic unit of study.
2. Connecting similar vocabulary.
An artist might add pattern in their work by repeating shapes, lines, or color the way a musician might add pattern by repeating musical elements like melodies, phrases or instruments.
3.Connecting concepts in art and music with thematic projects.
4. Creating artistic interpretations of specific musical pieces.
What types of colors, shapes, materials, objects, or other elements of art would help to represent the music.
Presenter: Holly Bess Kincaid
Skyline Middle School
NBCT EC-12 Art Educator
Harrisonburg City Schools, Harrisonburg, VA
Keys to Collaboration
Dial up some connections...
Music can serve as an
element of inspiration
in art creation!
in art and music
helps to make
concrete connections in both subjects areas.
Both classes are working on
a finished product!
Out of the fog of possible
connections can come
amazing EYE openers!
Texture -layers of sound
Form -how the music is put together
Rhythm -long/short patterns
Form or Composition
Rhythm - patterns/repetition
Playing music in art to relate to theme, time period
Connecting terms and building understanding
Understanding the world events that created art/music
Creating art/music as reponse and expression
Collaborative Project Examples:
1st - Carnival of the Animals
2nd - Monsters
3rd - Simple Machines
4th - Medieval Times
5th - Pictures at an Exhibition
Graphing our emotional responses
to music and art
"Lend your ears to music, open your eyes
to painting, and… stop thinking!
Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to 'walk about' into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes,
what more do you want?"
Projects & Collaborations
Space Center Intermediate
Middle School Projects & Connections:
6-8 th grade
YouTube / Teacher Tube