Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sophomore Guidance 2016- 2017
Transcript of Sophomore Guidance 2016- 2017
Thursday, January 29th, 2015
Opportunities in High School
Counselors in Cougar Country
Your counselor is your guide for:
Academic and Personal Decision making
In small groups
In the Career Center
In the Counseling Office
We hope you enjoyed the
Who are the counselors?
Give your time and energy w/o any expectation of payment
Great satisfaction comes from helping others.
Proves to others that you are dependable & competent.
Develop job skills you can’t learn in the classroom (increases confidence).
Helping Organizations: The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Day Care Centers, Student Council, HOPE, Interact, etc.
Build your Resume Community Service/Volunteer
Check out University Criteria for High school students
Challenging courses– including H/AP courses when appropriate, 4 years of math/science, foreign languages, etc.
College entrance exams (SAT/ACT)
Extra-curricular activities, leadership experience & volunteering (Builds Resume)
Marjan Switzer - Head Counselor
Nicole Cleveland: A - Car
Javier Proa: Cas - F
Sherry Nichols: G - H
Tonie Hutzler: I- Mem
Kristen Guerra: Men - Q
Lorna Carr: R - Sm
Nivia O'Malley: Sn - Z
During your lunch period
If counselor is unavailable, fill out “Request to See Counselor Form”
Your GPA is calculated by adding all semester grades (See grades in the S1 and S2 columns) and dividing by the total number of semester grades you have (honors and advance placement points are added in)
* If you fail a course, your semester grades are computed in your GPA
* Semester grades in courses you do not get credit for are not computed in the GPA (example: office aide)
Seniors 2015- 2016 Rankings by GPA:
1st Quarter 104 – 94
2nd Quarter 94 – 88
3rd Quarter 88 – 83
4th Quarter 83 – below
(GPA on a 100 point scale)
If you fail a class: Consider summer school or credit retrieval!
Rank is figured at the beginning of Senior year and again after the 1st semester of Senior year
The Texas public college or university of your choice must automatically admit you if your GPA ranks you in the top 10% (top 7% at UT Austin) of your high school graduating class, you apply no later that 2 years after you graduate from a Texas high school, and you meet application deadlines. (Subject to change by the Texas Legislature)
* Take Advanced Placement classes and AP Tests at the end of the year to earn college credit
* Take dual credit classes
* Watch for details and sign up in the spring
Math Models, Alg. 2, Pre-Cal, Calculus
Chemistry, Physics, and/or Alternate Science
3 other choices (PE, Health, Speech, Computer, Language, Fine Arts, etc.)
See Graduation Requirements
* Take the PSAT (Practice SAT) in October of your junior year. Review your sophomore PSAT.
* Go to www.collegeboard.com / psatextra for more info and enter YOUR CODE located on your PSAT Score Report you received in December
* Take the SAT/ ACT spring of your junior year.
* Take SAT/ ACT again as needed
College and Scholarships
It is never too early to search scholarships
GO Center (A101) has lots of information
Utilize scholarship websites like www.fastweb.com
Find college information at www.collegefortexans.com and www.gentx.org
Junior Lunch Criteria
Pass all 10th grade EOC tests
Pass all classes from previous semester
No more than 3 absences in semester
Be passing all classes each six weeks