Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Acid-Base Balance
It's a matter of BALANCE !
for LPN students
What does Acid and Base mean????
Identify persons at risk
Monitor lab values for significant changes: ABG
MECHANISMS TO CONTROL ACID-BASE BALANCE
is from problems with respiration
is from problems in another part of the body
Types of Imbalance
Normal Range 7.35 to 7.45
Normal Range 22 to 26 mEq/L
Normal Range 35 to 45
Do you see ROME????
Do you see that:
in Respiratory, the Kidneys
compensate with HCO3
in Metabolic, the Lungs
compensate with CO2 ?
Primary Treatment is of underlying cause
1. Cellular Buffers:"soak up" extra H+ or release H+ if not enough
2. Lungs: "blow off" or conserve CO2
3. Kidneys: multiple of ways involving HCO3
Acidosis or alkalosis that is corrected for by the body
The pH returns to/or near normal
The gases: CO2 and HCO3 are abnormal
HOW IS YOUR