Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Edgar Allen Poe
Transcript of Edgar Allen Poe
Birth date: January 19, 1809
Death date: October 07, 1849
Education: University of Virginia, U.S. Military Academy at West Point
Place of birth: Boston, Massachusetts
Place of death: Baltimore, Maryland
Edgar Allan Poe wrote during the nineteenth century in the Romanticism era, and early Victorian era.
Style of Writing
Edgar Allen Poe
By: Spencer Hardage
Edgar Allan Poe was credited as the inventor of detective style fiction. Poe was famous for his mysterious, horror, and insanity genres in his works.
He uses literacy devices such as:
anadiplosis - (when the last word or words in a sentence is used as the first word or words in the next sentence)
bomphiologia - (bombastic, pompous speech)
chronographia - (vivid representation of a certain historical or recurring time to create an illusion of reality)
enargia - (a vivid description)
to help the reader better understand the characters in the story.
Writers such as Edgar Allan Poe created a lot of fiction literary works
Focused on the sin concept and a dark look at society
Edgar Allan Poe had written "The Raven" during this time
What was going on in the world?
- Election of Andrew Jackson (1828)
Illegal in New York (1827)
Georgia prohibits slave education (1829)
Banned in Great Britan (1833)
- Panic of 1837:
Writers weren't paid much
- Underground Railroad is established (1830
- Texas declares independence from Mexico
Inspiration For His Work
Poe was inspired to be a writer because of his tragic life and horrible experiences.
The Tell Tale Heart
The Fall of the House of Usher