Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Like Dissolves Like
Transcript of Like Dissolves Like
They are not alike so they do not dissolve. Polar Non-polar Salt is an ionic compound. The ions become hydrated. This means it will break up into its ions Na+1 and Cl-1 This is called dissociation. The charged ions can interact with the polar water molecules. This is what "Like Dissolves Like" means. Oil is non-polar. Water is polar.
They are not alike.
Therefore, they will not mix. Polar will not mix with non-polar. Oil will dissolve in gasoline. Carbon tetrachloride has the formula CCl4. Is it polar or non-polar? CCl4 is non-polar because the dipoles cancel. It is a good solvent for non-polar compounds. Gasoline must be non-polar like oil. WHY? There are no polar bonds because all of the dipoles cancel. Dry cleaners use CCl4 to remove oil stains from clothes. Why? Like Dissolves Like 2 4 5 The oil dissolves in the CCl4