Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Like Dissolves Like
Transcript of Like Dissolves Like
They are not alike so they do not dissolve. Polar Non-polar Salt is an ionic compound. The ions become hydrated. This means it will break up into its ions Na+1 and Cl-1 This is called dissociation. The charged ions can interact with the polar water molecules. This is what "Like Dissolves Like" means. Oil is non-polar. Water is polar.
They are not alike.
Therefore, they will not mix. Polar will not mix with non-polar. Oil will dissolve in gasoline. Carbon tetrachloride has the formula CCl4. Is it polar or non-polar? CCl4 is non-polar because the dipoles cancel. It is a good solvent for non-polar compounds. Gasoline must be non-polar like oil. WHY? There are no polar bonds because all of the dipoles cancel. Dry cleaners use CCl4 to remove oil stains from clothes. Why? Like Dissolves Like 2 4 5 The oil dissolves in the CCl4