Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Storytelling in Science and Enviro-Education
Transcript of Storytelling in Science and Enviro-Education
What storytelling isn’t
simple science findings
science journal writing
exclusively for experts
In this session we want to dissect the importance and function of storytelling in Science Education.
Storytelling is explaining and contextualizing
Finding yourself in the narrative can reflect self image and role in the world.
Science Communication is a hot topic since it has come to light that our scientists are struggling to be heard over media and government agency interpretations.
By teaching our young scientists how to tell an effective story, we are arming them with the power of voice.
In one fell swoop, a well-structured story can make cultural, political and economic ideas implicit and personal.
- Question: What do you remember (either from experience or from education) about the 1960’s Space Race? (since its space day)
- Do we remember facts or do we remember stories?
- First we’ll look at why storytelling is important in the context of environmental science education.
- Second we’ll look at narrative and storytelling techniques.
- Third we’ll take a look at some successful communications.
- Then we’ll try it out for ourselves
“I am someone who recycles. Why? Because I care about the planet/wildlife/resources.”
How do I tell Story?
Effective techniques in science storytelling are many and the goal is always to make the concepts personally relatable through:
What it is and why it hasn't always been popular.
Storytelling in science hasn't always been embraced by scientists since it could potentially sensationalize the facts.
In recent years, science storytelling has been re-assessed and has become influential in political and ethical thinking.
1. What do the comparisons do?
2. How is it relatable?
3. How is it personal?
What are some of the things you notice here?
What do you notice here?
1. How is the information relatable?
2. What does the "I" in the story do?
3. How is this made personal?
Try it for yourself in three steps of three steps
1. me, we, now
2. and, but, therefore
3. beginning middle end
ME, WE, NOW
1. I am engaged with this topic.
2. We are all in this together.
3. Now what can we do?
AND, BUT, THEREFORE
1. This is my subject AND this.
2. BUT, this is the obstacle
3. THEREFORE, this
Beginning, Middle, and End
1. how does this story begin for you?
2. How has it become complicated
3. what is your conclusion?