Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
382-Globalization and Governance
Transcript of 382-Globalization and Governance
Is the state becoming obsolete?
Shannon Gibson, PhD
University of Southern California
local governments lack autonomy
relations are inter-state
Obsolescence of Statism
History of Statism
1648 - Peace of Westphalia
Components: supreme, comprehensive, unqualified, exclusive
Scholte's "globalization" definition: “large scale transplanetary connections and the pronounced growth of supraterritorial relations have made the unilateral state control of territorial jurisdictions impossible in many important fields of policy”
"beyond sovereingty" or "twilight of sovereignty"
"partial" or "shrunken sovereignty"
"pooled" or "shared sovereignty"
New Visions of Sovereignty
Rise of Global Constituencies
The 'Reconstructed' State
Effect on Social Welfare Provision
Multiscalar & Privatized Governance
Private regulation to fill gaps
Privatization via neoliberalism
"End of the Nation-State?" by Michael Mann
Tests 4 Hypotheses & 2 Counter-theses
Capitalism undermining state?
The State Still Viable?
The "Posts" and the State