Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Myths and heroes - Mrs Bost's English class
Transcript of Myths and heroes - Mrs Bost's English class
Heroes and legends
Cartoon: Bill Gates and Warren Buffet
Iwo Jima Memorial / Ira Hayes
A mural in Los Angeles
THERE WAS A MAN BY GOD’S GREAT HAND
THAT FLEW OVER THE OCEAN GREAT
HE FLEW TO FAME
AND MADE A NAME
THAT WILL FOREVER ACCLAIM
LINDY WAS A MAN OF NERVE SO STRONG
WHO NEVER DID ANY WRONG
HE WENT OUT OVER THE WATERS DEEP
TO SEEK THE HONORS FOR AMERICA TO KEEP
HE WON THE HIGHEST HONORS OF ANY MAN
DRESSED IN HIS SUIT OF TAN […]
HE FLEW ALL ALONE
OVER LAND AND SEA UNKNOWN
HE FLEW NIGHT AND DAY
WANDERING ON HIS WAY
IN THE DIRECTION HE THOUGHT WAS RIGHT
AND IT WAS SO OUR HERO WON THE FIGHT.
Ballad of Ira Hayes / Flags of our fathers
Superheroes and morality
: - a story from ancient times, told to explain natural events
- something that many people believe but that does not exist or is false.
: a person of superhuman qualities who is admired for his / her courage or outstanding achievements.
Once a hero, for ever a hero?
I/. Portraying heroes
1) What is a hero?
2) Circumstances of heroism
3) Examples of heroes
II/. The means used to portray heroes
poems / murals / cartoons / statues / songs / paintings
III/. Ambivalence of heroism / myth:
1) Too much for one man?
2) truthfulness of representations
3) Hidden side